Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Inferno Hoodie

I'm sure most of you have heard by now that those of us in San Diego in the middle of a massive firestorm. Very large portions of the county have been evacuated with the fires covering the an area from the Mexican border to Fallbrook to the north and Encinitas to the west. If you're familiar with the area, that's basically everything. Well, not everything because it thankfully doesn't include where I live in the urban area of the city. The fires all around us are making the air quite smoky and the low humidity is pretty uncomfortable, but we're safe and in no danger of being evacuated for now. I didn't go to work or school today because officials asked people to stay off the roads and as of tonight, my office is now in a voluntary evacuation zone, so I'm guessing work is out for tomorrow, too. What does one do with all of that time?

Knit!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is the progress I've made on the Central Park Hoodie while I've been glued to the TV all day.

I haven't been able to turn away from the news because the neighborhood that I grew up in, Green Valley in Poway, CA, where my parents lived for the first 32 years of my life, is on fire and whether or not my childhood home is a pile of rubble is unknown. I have several friends that have evacuated, too, and their homes are also in the direct line of the fire. Its come down to checking the streets they're listing to see if the properties in question are on it. Even those lists aren't complete by any means. I've sat here and watched multiple houses burn to the ground - very sad. Needless to say it's a terrible situation that is affecting the entire city in a very real way. Worse yet, the weather isn't looking to improve, so tomorrow it will be temps above 90, humidity below 10% and wind gusts around 40-50 mph. More later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No work for me today either. I'm anticipating quite a bit of knitting.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey- long time no talk! In my free time away from tv fire watching, I have been checking out all of my favorite (and much neglected) web sites. I'm glad that you are doing well despite the issues in the city- and it definitely looks like you are using your time wisely! I will be home most of tomorrow as well- maybe I will take a cue from you and spend it knitting. Take care of yourself!
-Allison

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are out of harm's way. Hope your family is OK? I've been doing a bit of knitting as well as a way to destress. You've made great progress on the CPH, love the color.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you and so many others in SoCal, I've also been knitting away, in front of the news, this week. So sad, and scary. I'm glad you are safe.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home