Sunday, October 07, 2007

Garter Stitch

I've never been a fan of garter stitch - I always associated with beginning knitters. I also thought it produced a bulky garment, and I never liked it as an edging on sleeves or the body of a sweater. Recently, though, I've cast on for two projects that have a lot of garter stitch in them and I find, when used judiciously, garter stitch adds a really nice design element. For example, here's my Juliet, knit out of Ice Blue Cotton-Ease (the old stuff):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was concerned that when I put it on, it would add at least 10 pounds, but it actually looks really cute! I can't wait to finish it now. Knitting Cotton-Ease double hurts my hands quite a bit, though, so it's slow-going.

I've also cast on for the Cobblestone Pullover, which uses garter stitch very cleverly to create a visually interesting piece:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm using All Seasons Cotton Melange in Military. This sweater will be for my husband's Thanksgiving trip home to Chicago, so I have to finish it by November 21st. I have daily and weekly goals so that I get it done.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Loving your garter stitch here. Have fun :)

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to get my Road to Golden sweater done by Thanksgiving too. It's a good idea to set weekly goals. The garter stitch is growing on me too.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really good to know about Juliet. I haven't casted on yet, but I was worrying about the same thing (bulking up factor). Yay! I'm not a huge fan of the garter either, but at least there isn't much of it in that pattern. ;)

The Cobblestone is going to fabulous in that yarn!

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home