Thursday, May 31, 2007

More Summer Knittting

After the tragedy of my Lotus Blossom tank, I stared a new knit, Sahara. For Sahara I am using Cotton Fleece that was given to me by K. I am knitting it at a looser gauge than I did with Lotus (5 st to an inch instead of 5.5). This makes a more drapey fabric which is also softer. Sahara is my first top down sweater. I intend to add additional waist shaping to this sweater. The pattern calls for several inches of bust negative ease, so I assume that the whole sweater should have some negative ease, but the waist area ends up being slightly larger than my waist, so, I am going to try to make the waist have 0 ease, or do you think I should build in some negative ease to allow for the tendency of cotton to stretch? I hate the idea of something pulling around my stomach, but I do want a fitting garment. I am about to start the waist shaping now, so opinions would be greatly appreciated.

To end on an up note, I bought another skein of Candy Apple Cotton Fleece, and while it is a different dye lot, the color is close enough that I don't think it is obvious that there is a color difference. I finished Lotus Blossom but haven't taken a FO shot yet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read once that the best way to figure out the ease is to have the same percentage everywhere - so if you have 10% negative ease at the bust, you'd decrease to give you 10% negative ease at your waist too. I haven't actually done this myself, but I can see why it works, because the fabric would stretch in the same way all over the garment. Does the pattern not have any waist shaping at all, or is the problem that it's just not enough?

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not an ounce of practical advice to offer such as that given by the brilliant designer, our soon-to-be-leaving Joanna, but I will fulfill my role, which is to remind you how much in awe I am of your prolific knitting and your ability to adapt patterns to suit your needs. And I will say that the color looks yummy. I do know color. Ayup, that I do know!

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home