Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Why Does this Keep Happening?

On Tuesday I popped into the LYS by my office looking for some Cotton Fleece for K. They didn't have what she was looking for, but I saw 3 skeins of Candy Apple Red that called my name. These skeins, the last on the shelf in this color, came home with me, of course. I had no idea what I was going to use the yarn for, but a tank top seemed like a safe bet. Surely 3 skeins of yarn with 215 yd a skein would be enough for a tank, right?

Since the weather here in Boston has gone from cool to hot, pretty much over night, I had an immediate need for a new tank so, on Wednesday night I started looking over several issues of IK to find the tank that would interest me. I settled on the Lotus Blossom Tank from the cover of last summer's IK. The original tank, in my size, called for 3 skein's of SWTC Bamboo yarn, each skein of which contains slightly more yarn than the Cotton Fleece, but I decided I would be safe anyway.

I then decided to make some modifications to the pattern. The first modification was that I added a 5th repeat of the lace pattern (see left) to make the tank longer (my size called for 4 repeats, the next size up called for 5). Next I chose to add additional decreases in the stockinette portion of the tank, so that it would fit a little closer under the bust. Then, I chose to add some bust darts (the first time I ever tried that). Unfortunately, the changes meant that I ran out of yarn with only one shoulder strap to go.

6 Comments:

Blogger Siercia said...

Well, (god help us) the 80's are back, and (in theory) asymmetry is all the rage again.

Knit the offending strap with a different color / yarn?

I've got some leftover Cherry Moon that might work! ;)

1:38 PM  
Blogger arianna said...

that is such a sad picture. i hope you can find some yarn to finish it up! because the tank itself is gorgeous, and such a perfect fit for you!

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Qu'une tragédie! Or as we would say in circa '80s valley girl speak -- that bites the big green weenie, I could just DIE!!!!! But to be honest, the picture is worth it. That priceless look on your face. So sorry it happened, but thanks for having the cajones to post it. (My, this is a comment with a very internationial linguistic nature, isn't it?)

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Any chance for getting more? Maybe you can alter the back neckline - it looks a little high - if that was lowered, would you get enough yarn back for the other strap?

11:40 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Oh know! I'm so glad to see that you have found another skein and were able to finish this peice - it's lovely.

And Lissy's right - as sad as this is, the picture is priceless!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Jscothammerquist said...

Oh Dear !

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home