Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Vacation Wrap Up.


I have just returned from 5 nights camping near Acadia National Park in Maine. Like the ditz that I am, I left the camera card which had most of my photographs at home. I spent my time up there hiking, with a little biking thrown in for good measure. I have learned a few things:
1) I may be crazy, I repeatedly chose to go on hiking trails that involved me being on the edge of cliffs, hoisting myself over rock piles, using iron rungs or ladders to get up over rocks (I don't like ladders), and generally scaring the crap out of myself at least 1 time per day;
2) You definitely can smell fear;
3) Panting from panic sounds similar to, but not the same as panting from exertion;
4) It is easier, and less frightening, to go up a steep slope than it is to go down it;
5) If you can stop and take a picture to show how scary the trail you are on is, it isn't scary.
6) I can do a lot more than I think I can.

Over 4 days I hiked approximately 27 miles, including climbing several (8 maybe?) mountains (though the highest one was only 1530 feet, and many were under 1000 feet), I biked about 24 miles, riding to the top of Cadillac Mountain. I took a ton of pictures, and so will probably post more eventually. I now have a monster blister on my right big toe, but so far it isn't really bothering me.

I also did some knitting. I started the wavy socks from the current issue of VK using the Claudia's Handpainted yarn that I bought in Maryland. I haven't taken a photo yet, but will post one soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back! How can you knit while climbing rocks?

10:58 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

It sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you learned so much about yourself and climbed those ladders and hiked those cliff edges. Blisters aren't any fun...I hope you can wear comfortable shoes at work until it heals.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Applause! You inspire me. Great photos. I'm glad you had a good time.

1:56 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

Welcome home! And man, that lesson #6 is one that I am going to be learning for the rest of my life, I think. :) Can't wait to hear about it at SnB!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home