Tuesday, July 11, 2006

WTF?!

Imagine this, it is night, you and your spouse are heading towards the airport. Perhaps you are going on vacation, perhaps you are picking up a relative who is flying in to visit you, it is even possible that you live in East Boston and are just going home. You and your spouse are minding your own business going through one of the multi-billion dollar Big Dig connector tunnels when you hear a loud noise (I assume there was noise) and your car is crushed, mostly on the passenger side, but completely totaled. You craw through your windshield and discover that a 40ft section of the concrete ceiling in the tunnel fell from the roof and onto your car, killing the passenger, your spouse. This happened here in Boston last night. The ceiling section that fell weighed about 3 tons. I don't know what the car was doing in the tunnel, but it really is not relevant, the tunnel was supposedly safe, I don't know how long the tunnel has been in service, but I have to guess that it was less than 5 years. The Big Dig has cost us billions of dollars, and by "us" I don't just mean the MA tax payers, the Federal Government contributed to the cost too. Since it has opened the tunnels have been plagued with problems. First it was leaks shutting the tunnels down, the leaks, apparently, were caused by an improper mixture of the cement. The leaks were basically fixed, but remain an ongoing issue. Now, the ceiling is literally falling, supposedly because the iron tie holding the concrete in place couldn't stand the pressure. I am not an engineer, but shouldn't there be some way of testing the strength of the rod? I feel like top dollar was paid for a job that was done completely on the cheap. How can anyone drive through the tunnels and feel safe?

In knitting news, I finished the first of Lissy's socks and finished the first Baudelaire sock. I am very happy with the sock, which moved very quickly. It is toe up, with gussets and a heel flap. I used Regia Silk yarn, which is a silk, merino, polyamide blend yarn, and which was very soft to work with. I also used the magic loop method to knit this. I haven't done the second sock yet.

6 Comments:

Blogger wenders said...

Speedy McGee on the sock knitting, lady! :)

And I agree. Should they have found the strucutral issues when they were reassessing the cement/leaking problem at least?!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I heard about that at work. Shoddy workmanship in the extreme. So glad I walk everywhere for the most part.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Mara Fitch said...

Your sock for Lissy is lovely.
I can't believe that happened, how horrible! Well maybe I believe it happened and could happen but it should not have happened.

11:15 PM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Your magic loop sock looks fab! Roads below ground should insist on (I'm in no doubt that roads can insist) additional looking at prior to functioning.

Still fun! I may carry on this way for a bit. Thanks Crisis of Praxis!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about that tunnel! Somehow I always had a feeling something like that would happen. I love the socks, though!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygoodness, and I just told Mike this weekend "I don't have issues driving through tunnels" umm.. I will for a while now!
You sock looks GREAT!! Really great : )

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home