Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Knitty: A Review

Again, I find myself at work, cameraless and photoless on my posting day. I did finish my socks yesterday (photos soon) and got started on Pomatomus. I tried doing the magic loop thing, but I couldn't get past the notion that for some reason, I was knitting upside down. I was obviously doing something wrong, but I tried it three times and couldn't get past it. So, I cast on using dpn's. Alas, the magic loop method will have to wait until my next project. The yarn that I'm using is an absolutely gorgeous color of Koigu, so I'm looking forward to watching the pattern develop.

As you may have noticed, the new knitty came out this morning. I was really looking forward to some interesting, sexy tanks and t's, but even so, I'm pleased with this issue. I'm not normally a knitting accessory person, but I do love socks. My husband loves hats, and I've been looking for a good wristwarmer/fingerless gloves pattern for an office with an overzealous A/C, so this issue pleased me.

My favorite pattern is Fetching, a pair of fingerless gloves with a simple, yet elegant design, knit up in the wonderfully cuddly Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. These are exactly what I've been looking for in terms of something to wear in the office. As soon as I can pick up some yarn (does anyone remember if Knitting in La Jolla carries this yarn?), then I will cast on and get started.

This men's hat pattern is the type of hat that my husband has been requesting for ages. He shaves his head and frequently needs a hat, even in the summer. I've knit him several that he wears daily (unlike the vest I made him that cost a fortune to make and took me forever) so I fully intend on making him this hat. Conveniently knit in the same yarn as the gloves, I shall pick this up soon as well and get started.

As for socks, there are two designs that caught my eye this time. I'm intrigued by Widdershins because it is a type of toe-up technique that I have never tried before and I really like the cabled design. I also think Baudelaire is a lovely design and is definitely on my "to knit" list.

So, that's my two cents on the new knitty. Guess it's time for another trip to the yarn store!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chrissy said...

Fetching is my favorite too, but the whole edition sounds good!

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home