Thursday, June 29, 2006

WARNING: Extreme Lack of Knitting Content


Last night I was among the envy of Red Sox Nation. 36,053 baseball fans filled the seats of Fenway park to watch Pedro Martinez, our former ace, return to pitch against his old teammates. Pedro was a key part of the Red Sox World Series Championship, and when he left it left a whole in the bull pen that has still not been filled. (portion deleted thanks Jenn C for the correction to my original post!) This was a much anticipated game. Pedro got a standing ovation when he took the mound. Unfortunately, the game went downhill quickly after that. In fact, it was a very bad game for the former Sox ace. 4 runs scored in the first inning, there was a bizarre fielding incident in which Pedro couldn't decide where to throw the ball, 4 more runs scored in the 3rd, and during one inning there was a hit that basically went through Pedro's legs. Pedro was gone by the end of that inning. To me, the most unfortunate part was when the fans started chanting "Who's your daddy" while Pedro was on the mound. What upset me most about this is that the Yankees fans used to jeer Pedro with this chant and in my mind, Sox fans should NEVER EVER take their lead from Yankees fans. We won the game, and Beckett did a phenomenal job pitching. This was the second game in a row that he made it to the 8th inning in and in which he limited scoring to just 2 runs, with very few hits (I saw him pitch against my former home team, the Phillies on Friday, and man, was he on fire then). Clearly though, the Mets loss can not be attributed just to Pedro, we did score after he left, and the Mets left fielder literally dropped the ball on one occasion.

Now for the obligatory knitting content (just so I don't go 2 posts in a row on this knitting blog without any) :

One pair Pomatomus sock in Blackberry Farms sock yarn (I think, though I can't remember for sure), colorway, Tropical Fish. Start date June 10, 2006, finished today, June 29, 2006. Used size 1 addi bamboo (?) dpns. Sorry all the data on the socks are at home.

Finally, sorry for quality of photos, all were taken with my cell phone.

5 Comments:

Blogger bitterknitter said...

I like how the foot part of your socks look. The colors went all pretty there. Stripes are fun and all, but I think I like the blobs of color.

Yay for Sox games!

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neat socks!

Not to nitpick, but this isn't the first searies the Mets have played at Fenway since 1986 - I know because I took my Dad to a Mets-Sox game a few years ago. Well, before H was born, so, like 5+ years ago.

(I, too, was a Mets fan growing up, only migrating to the Sox when I moved up to Boston.)

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who needs knitting content when you can talk about the Sox?? That was a hell of a game, wasn't it? You're soo lucky you could go!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sox are great and the sox are also great!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you socks! The pooling is very interesting, I love how it happened in the same place on both socks!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home