Thursday, June 22, 2006

Lumps


My knitting is still not at all photo worthy. I am on the lapel section of the VK Twisted Float Shrug, which, because it is knit in the round, currently looks like a lump of knit material. K had wanted to see my colors together, so I am sharing two pictures of the lump of material. On the left is the full lump, WS showing. On the right is an attempt at a close up of the RS with the twisted floats showing. The version that appeared on the cover of VK was very, umn, active, and while I loved it, I wanted something a bit softer and more subtle for my twisted float. I think that I have achieved that.

Because one lumpy project is not enough I am also giving you a shot of my lump of brown lace. Progress has slowed down on it, but hasn't stopped entirely. I have turned the heel on my second pomatomus sock, but I am not sharing a photo because I already showed the first sock. I have not knit a stitch on WRS this week. I guess that may be it for my project updates. Hopefully I will have more impressive photos next week.

I rode my bike yesterday morning into work. My average speed was 13.8mph, so my speed may be improving. I expect to ride home from the office tomorrow.

On the Summer Reading Project, my next review is of Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwartz, 368 pages. This was an Oprah book selection, which I read for my book club. Drowning Ruth was an interesting portrait of one woman's relationships, her relationship with her sister, her brother-in-law and her especially her niece. At the heart of the story, set in the post WWI years, is the mystery of the death of the main character's sister one cold November night. This evening changed the course of the lives of Ruth (the sister's daughter), Amanda (the main character) and several other characters of less significance. It is not until near the end that you learn just what happened that evening. I ended up feeling sorry for Amanda and for Ruth, though at the same time I didn't really like Amanda that much, she was a hard, judgmental woman who controlled Ruth and who didn't really seem to have Ruth's best interest at heart, even though she thought that she did. I would definitely recommend this novel to others. B+.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Voice sings in head: "My lumps, my lumps, my lovely knitting lumps..."

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself am rather lumpy, so I guess it takes one to know one. Maybe that's why I enjoy seeing pics of these projects despite their formlessness. It's kind of like seeing a caterpiller in its chrysalis. Still fascinating, if not beautiful.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you are making progress on your lumps! : D

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home