Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Third Time's a Charm?

I have recently received 2 gift certificates for the LYS near my office, Putting on The Knitz. I waited a couple of weeks before using either of them, largely because I couldn't think of anything that I wanted to knit for the summer. I was looking at the latest IK and saw the Modesitt corset tank from it. While I was contemplating doing that piece it hit me, like a lightening bolt, that I had the pattern for the Modesitt silk corset, and that I wanted to make it! So, after work on Friday I went to Putting on the Knitz and looked at the summer yarn. I knew that I didn't want 100% silk, or 100% cotton since neither are known for their elasticity. I ended up choosing some Classic Silk by Classic Elite, 50% cotton, 30% silk, 20% nylon, perfect! When I got home I immediately did a gauge swatch, and satisfied with my gauge I cast on. I happily knit along working on the 35" bust version. Before the night was over I had already done the armholes (it is a top down) and started the bust decrease. I put my work onto waste yarn and tried the piece on. No way would this piece fit me. I tore it all out, double checked my gauge swatch and figured that I would just make the 38" bust version, and then it would fit. I knit happily along on Sunday and tried it on again. Still, couldn't close the stupid thing. Time to frog again. I looked at my gauge swatch, I checked my actual gauge, I was getting 5st to an inch. The pattern called for a gauge of 5.5st-1" (22st-4") what is up? I should have too large of a piece, not too small of a piece. Time to do some real math, casting on 177 st (for 41.5" bust) would give me an actual piece that is 35.4" at my gauge. Something was wrong. Couldn't be the pattern, too many people have already made the silk corset, while I heard that the yarn expands after being washed, and therefore it becomes too big, I hadn't heard about gauge problems. Looking at the internet did reveal to me (on Monday, after my 3rd start) that the called for gauge is 4.5st to an inch, not 5.5, mystery solved. But I am not crazy, look, my copy of the pattern does say the gauge is 22st to an inch. I have again gotten to bellow the arm holes, but if it doesn't fit this time around, I am just going to give up the ghost, I think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I cast on three times for a hat in the past week. At least you're doing something complex! :P

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you wash your swatch? I'm just curious if the yarn your using will expand. Its such a lovely pattern, maybe the 3 time is the charm! ; )

12:47 AM  
Blogger Una Spenser said...

I think Jenn C will be relieved to know she has company. She has been knitting this piece as a sample for Circles and she's on the third or fourth iteration becuase it kept coming out to small.

I don't buy the 4.5 sts/inch gauge. It would be much too open with the specified yarn. I think that Annie expected more stretch from the ribbing than you actually get. Or that, there is a pattern error. I'll contact her to see.

Good luck with it!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home