Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Trials and Travels

I guess I took another unintentional break from blogging. I didn't realize that going back to a schedule of working every day would interfere so much with important things like blogging...and knitting. Well, I wasn't knitting even before I started working, so I can't blame the job for that one. Since my last update, we've had some sad news. My father-in-law passed away from cancer earlier this month. It was a very difficult time for Joe, who had to wait until finals were over before he could fly back to Chicago. By that time, his father had already slipped into a coma. I flew back to Chicago for the funeral and met my in-laws for the first time. All in all, a very difficult trip, but it was good to finally meet the family.

The day after the funeral, we took a quick whirlwind tour of Chicago where Joe hasn't lived for over 20 years. So, we were both tourists, really. I took some truly mediocre photos (hey, I was lucky Joe stopped the car long enough for me to take any pictures at all).

100_0161

It was amazing to see a lake so large. I've flown into Chicago many, many times, but I've never seen the lake that close. I actually walked right up to the edge of it. Frankly, it might as well have been the ocean it was so huge.

100_0166

I was truly impressed by Chicago - what a great city! I love the way the Chicago River runs through it. Gorgeous. Naturally I have no photos of the river. But take my word for it - there's something very European about it.

100_0170

100_0167

I believe the black skyscraper is the Sears Tower, but don't quote me. We had some trouble identifying it for sure. You think it would be simple, wouldn't you?

100_0164

This is an outdoor venue where they have free concerts in the summer at lunch. I noticed that it was a city that appreciates summer weather, like a lot of cold-weather type places. People in San Diego just take it for granted, so it was nice seeing everybody outside grabbing some rays.

100_0165

Like I mentioned, I've started my new job and I'll post about that later this week or over the weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Joe's dad. But I'm glad you were still able to have a nice trip and meet the in-laws. Can't wait to hear about your new job!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home