Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Another Get Away

This summer I am being quite the explorer/traveler. This past weekend I left Boston, which was experiencing relatively cool temperatures for my parent's in PA. Seeing my parents wasn't the ultimate goal though, the goal was to hike the Appalachian Trail (see the white blaze on the tree above?) from PA 309 to Delaware Water Gap (near the PA/NJ border). The planned distance was about 50 miles over 4 days. I knew that the temperature would be soaring in Boston, but I hoped that being in the Poconos and in the woods would keep the hiking temps lower.
While we were in the woods we saw tiny frogs, a bright orange newt, a furious wild bird (a turkey perhaps?), a gazillion gypsy moth caterpillars, butterflies (or maybe moths), and lots of other insects. As we hiked along the temperature began to rise. The heat grew harsher and harsher, we crossed a treeless expanse early on the second morning. To reach that expanse we had to climb about a six hundred feet ascent that was, essentially, rock climbing. The photo below was taken as I looked down at what I had just climbed up.

After 2 full days of hiking and receiving word that the temps in the area were expected to reach 96 degrees on Sunday and 98 degrees on Monday, the hike was cut short. The rescue team (aka Mom) was called in, and only 6 miles were hiked on Sunday (including the trip to the spring) before my mom, driving a convertible with the top down, arrived in Wind Gap to bring me back to their place. A total of about 37 miles was hiked over the 3 day span.

All of the above is basically meant to distract you from the fact that I haven't gotten much knitting done lately. I did finish the second Ornette, but I had basically finished that before the last post. I have been making some progress on the second knee sock, but that isn't really photo worthy. I also started a Flower Basket Shawl using the Elann Baby Lace merino that I used last summer for the Mystery Stole.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here via Spare Room Knits, and love your travel photos! I am also captivated by your recently completed Ornette socks -
I am off to find the pattern! Thanks!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Those are some super exciting socks!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

I love the Ornette sock pattern. It is amazing work. I have never even attempted a pair of socks, but this actually inspires me to consider picking up a skein of sock yarn and at least giving it a shot!

11:52 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

Hey, did you meet up with E on the trail?

Looks like fun!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home