Friday, May 30, 2008

Back from the Coast

I spent last week in "sunny" southern CA, once again my trip to San Diego coincided with a spat of Boston-like weather (in fact, I think it may have been nicer back here than out there). Despite non-cooperative weather I had a great time visiting with K.

I arrived late on Wednesday and K & I went to Mellow for a glass of wine and a bite to eat. In honor of our planned wine tasting trip, I had a Qupe from the central coast and K also had a central coast wine.

On Thursday we left for the San Luis Obispo area. Along the way I bought some fabric to make a skirt and we stopped at the Yarn Lady so that I could buy some "cheap" size 4 circs (I ended up with a set of lantern moon destiny needles-only I could go looking for cheap and buy the highest price needles in the store). As we were riding we ran into unusual weather conditions:

wet stuff was falling from the sky! If I were in Boston I would know exactly what this was, but this was the LA area and I am told that rain doesn't exist. Unfortunately by the time we arrived in SLO the tastings were done for the day.

On Friday we began wine tasting in earnest. We hit 6 vineyards and the Hitching Post II. In case you didn't see Sideways, or didn't believe the movie, let me tell you, they make some really good wines in the Central Coast region of CA. There were a ton of wineries there, most of the tastings that we did were very reasonably priced $5 for 5 or 6 wines. I had the opportunity to taste wines that are beyond my price point, which was fun too. The scenery was quite lovely with fields of tended grape vines and mountains in the distance.

On Saturday morning we visited two more wineries before starting the return trip home. I left the area with 9 bottles of wine (only 6 were coming back to MA though).

Sunday was the day I traveled cross country for. K, as readers already know, received her Masters Degree, Sunday was the graduation ceremony. Can I just public mention how impressed I am with her? She went through a lot of schooling and a lot of hard (HARD) work to get to this point.

Monday and Tuesday were both pretty low key. K and I did some knitting and some sewing, but not much else.

Wednesday there was more sewing, I finished my skirt, my first every sewn skirt. We also made it up to La Jolla where I saw the baby seals (La Jolla is just gorgeous-I wish I could afford to buy a place there, and that I had a job lined up to make moving an option)

My final photos to share are of my finished skirt-an indoor shot and an outdoor shot.

If I remember right the skirt is from a Simplicity pattern. I don't remember who designed the fabric. The pattern has a yoke around waist band.

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

The skirt came out great! And it was great to meet you.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skirt came out awesome!! You'll have to visit again soon so you can make another one. ;-)

1:36 AM  
Blogger arianna said...

I know I'm way way late in this, but I *love* your CA skirts. They are gorgeous. And very flattering on you! Nice work. :)

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home