Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cadeaux

This is the first Christmas that Joe and are both students. That means that come the 20th of every month, we have to charge things like gas and food on credit cards. That means that the price of gas makes us feel faint. That also means that each and every Christmas gift will be handmade by one of us.

I think I have it sorted out at this point...who's getting what and all. It's been a difficult year for our family, health-wise and unfortunately, my father-in-law is ill. For him, I thought I'd sew a flannel robe for hospital stays. You'd think that finding an attractive man-suitable flannel would be easy peasy, but you'd be wrong. I've been to two local fabric stores and haven't found anything than any man I know would put on his back. I was getting frustrated until I had a brilliant idea. What readily available product comes in flannel in an abundant variety for a reasonable price? Flannel sheets! I finally found a reasonably attractive plaid!

As for the hubby, I'm making the Log Cabin socks from Handknit Holidays:


I'm using Cascade 220 Superwash which comes in some truly amazing colors. It was hard to pick the right one! I love the cables on these socks.

For my dad, I'll be making an airplane blanket. He travels a lot and I thought it would be nice to have something other than the filthy rag the airlines give you. It will be double-sided and these are the fabrics I chose:

It can't all be about Christmas gifting, though, right? So, there's a pair of socks for me! These are the Embossed Leaves socks from Winter 2005 IK. You may recognize these socks as an old UFO. I've actually made it quite a bit further than this now, but I took this photo last night when I got home. I'm almost to the heel flap now! This is the second sock of the pair. I finished the first one literally years ago.





Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Disentangled said...

I think you've picked out some lovely gifts. And I'm sure the robe will be well appreciated!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the log cabin socks! Great stitch definition with that yarn. Might have to add a pair to the gift list for someone.

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are jamming on these knitting and sewing gifts. Congrats on reaching the Thanksgiving goals. The flannel sheets for a robe is a great idea. If you have any leftover you can always sew a pillowcase that you can wrap the robe in.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home