Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Progress

After seeing a mention of the Mystery Stole 3 group on a fellow Circle's knitter's blog, I decided that I needed to sign up, so I did. We were told that we needed 1,200 yards of lace weight yarn and beads. I decided to use the laceweight yarn that I bought from Elann for this project, and I thought that I had beads in stash (I didn't really). On Friday, the first clue came out. It had 100 rows of lace knitting. I started on Saturday and quickly realized that the beads that I had wouldn't work. Their holes were all too small for a crochet hook to fit. This meant that I had to make a trip to Beadworks in Harvard Square to find beads that worked. Christine kindly lent me a tiny crochet hook and showed me how to attach bead using a crochet hook. With these hurdles beyond me, I began my knitting. On Sunday, the first clue was completed. The next clue will be coming on Friday, I think. So far, all is going well with this project. The beads took a bit to get used to, but now I feel pretty comfortable and confident with them. This won't be a knit on the T project though because I can see my little tube of beads being knocked over and beads flying all over the bus or subway car.


I have also been working away at my Sunshine sweater. I am knitting this piece continental style (usually I knit English). I decided to go with Continental because there is seed stitch on this sweater and I have heard rumors that seed stitch is easier/faster continental. I am nearly done with the body now. I am using some reclaimed Calmer from a crochet project that I didn't have enough yarn for. I think I have about 5 more rows of seed stitch, then I use the "picot stitch" to cast off. Unfortunately, I have no clue what the picot stitch is, so I will look at the pattern to see if there is any hint (there isn't), then I will go for google.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Siercia said...

wow, nice progress on the mystery stole! I'm at like Line 52. It's a beautiful pattern so far!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, this pattern doesn't tell you how to do the stitch it calls for? That is lame.

Once again you prove fearless as you plunge in with the mystery stole and beads. I have seen it once but wouldn't mind a refresher course on how to do the crochet hook thing with the beads. Is it too late for you to show me? I'd love to learn it properly.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been wanting to knit a stole/shawl but it seems like such a big project. Do you have any suggestions of a pattern that wouldn't be too intimidating but would still look feminite and pretty?

thanks :)

rayleen at gmail.com

11:08 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

I thought about signing up, too. Actually, I DID sign up, but don't own the yarn or the beads yet. I'm hoping to decide by this weekend...I figure a few weeks behind wouldn't be all that bad? Yours looks lovely...as always!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home