Thursday, April 19, 2007

Socks, Some Rock & Some Trek

Last Thursday I mentioned that I was starting a new pair of socks using Socks that Rock for the yarn, and following a Cookie A pattern. Yesterday, on the Orange Line I finished the first Twisted Flower Sock. In order to finish I had to be a bit creative, you see, this was the only knitting I had with me and I didn't have a book to read so I needed to get the sock done and to start the second or I would be sitting on the T with nothing to do (I can't handle that). I didn't have a sewing needle to use for a kitchener stitch nor did I have another knitting needle to use fora 3 needle bind off, so what was I to do? My solution was to take the plug part from my Ipod headphones and use that as a 3rd needle which let me do a 3 needle bind off. I had no scissors so I had to break the yarn by hand, which I didn't find to be easy. After finishing the sock, I cast on for the second sock and started working on the ribbed cuff, then my T ride was over. Now the second sock has been set aside so that I can try to make a second trekking sock.

Months ago I created this sock:
It is my own design, unfortunately, I didn't leave myself good notes about how I made it. I made a note of when I started the gusset increase and how many gusset increases I used (it is a toe up sock with heel flap and, obviously, a gusset). I did not write notes on how I turned the heel, and more importantly my toe instructions tell me how to get up to a certain number of stitches then include the phrase "too big." Unfortunately, looking at the first sock, it appears that I did toe increases to the number of stitches written before I noted "too big," so, while I started the toe following my handwritten instructions I am quite concerned that I will have to rip it all out because it won't match the first. I have no idea what my "too big" referred to, was my toe too long? My first sock fits so it clearly isn't too wide around. My notes were in pencil, did I erase the number of my original increases? This will be something of a mystery, and a lesson on why detailed notes are required for designs.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jaimi said...

For "must cut yarn now!" emergencies, I recommend keys :-) Socks are lovely!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

The hazards of second sock syndrome! Make sure you finish that other twisted flower one -it's goregous!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

I myself have been known to gnaw through my yarn when scissors weren't around. Good luck with your second trekking sock!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those green/yellow socks are gorgeous. Aren't you clever in your improvisation? I also have a couple of single socks needing mates that will take a crystal ball to match.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home