Sunday, April 15, 2007

Farmer's Market Day

I don't really have anything knitting-related to show you. I did finish the knitting on Sahara, but I didn't feel like doing the finishing, so I started a second Under the Hoodie out of the new Cotton-Ease. I didn't have time to take any photos, though, because I spent the day shopping and cooking.

I went to the really awesome Farmer's Market in Hillcrest that is held every Sunday morning from 9-1. I went with Cora, our sometimes guest blogger. I made a decision a couple of weeks ago that I would do more cooking and trying to eat healthier. I generally have a healthy lifestyle, but my diet leaves something to be desired. I eat out a lot and I eat a lot of frozen food. Its really my schedule that causes this, but I think that with a little pre-planning I could cook on the weekends and have leftovers for the week.

Toward this end, I've ordered some new cookbooks and done some shopping at Whole Foods to stock up on whole grains, beans, nuts, fresh vegetables and some good cheese to make it all taste good. I tend to eat vegetarian (except when I'm chowing down on Phil's Bar-B-Q, but that's another story), so I've really stocked up on the veggies. I decided that a trip to the farmer's market would be an ideal place to get really good quality, seasonal, tasty, fresh, organic produce.

I think the market in Hillcrest is the largest in all of San Diego. They have many, many stalls carrying anything from handmade baskets to cheese to organic lettuces. For all of you locals, Bread and Cie has a booth where they sell freshly baked treats like croissants, as well as loaves of their delicious bread. I mostly stocked up on produce, picking up mushrooms, basil, parsley, beets, and zucchini. Cora got some truly gorgeous strawberries. Then, we pored over my cookbooks and chose a few delicious looking recipes to try out what we'd bought. I ended up roasting beets and making a beet, sour cream and herb chutney kind of thing to eat with Pierogi - very Russian. I also made a leek, mushroom, potato and swiss chard soup. I have some leftovers for the week, so I think I'm off to a good start. Tomorrow, I'm going to make an asparagus and goat cheese tart - yum! I can't wait for that one.

I highly recommend that, if you live in San Diego, you should check out the Farmer's Market in Hillcrest.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Hillcrest Farmer's Market. I can't wait for them to get heirloom tomatoes ;)

What cookbooks did you get?

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, nostalgia! I used to live 2 blocks from that farmer's market. I used to walk there all the time! Good stuff!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Sounds great - I'll have to check it out myself!

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home