Thursday, December 07, 2006

Confessions

Grandmom won't be getting a scarf this year. The swatch that I knit was supposed to be a snowflake, but my failure to
produce a swatch that was instantly recognizable as a snowflake isn't what did me in. I has suspected that the swatch didn't look like a snowflake and I continued with my designing by trying to come up with other lace snowflakes. I continued my plotting an planning until a new obsession took over. Once the new obsession took over there was no chance of my spending the time to design the scarf, I had a mitten to knit!

If you have looked at the pictures to this post you might recognize my new obsession, it is Eunny Jang's Anemoi Mittens. Shortly after seeing the pattern go up I started considering what yarn to use. I had visions of mittens that were blue and teal. When K got on line in the morning she and I exchanged yarn ideas through IM. K suggested Louet Sales Gems Opal, which is a sport weight yarn instead of a fingering weight. A Good Yarn in Brookline happens to sell this yarn, so I quickly went over to Brookline Village felt the yarn, tried to see if they had Gems Pearl (I didn't know at that time what yarn Eunny had used), discovered they didn't, and went with Gems Opal (I got my blue, but not teal). I didn't go to the yarn store on my own, I dragged along my boss, who drove. Since I wasn't driving I was able to start swatching immediately. Before returning to the office I had cast on, did the first two rows, started the ribbing, discovered that I cast on too few stitches and frogged. It was after work that I started the mitten in earnest. There is now an errata to the pattern, which I hadn't seen, but which was fairly obvious and which I corrected on my own. My ribbing isn't too stretchy, I think that is because my floats, while not exactly tight, are too short to allow much stretch. There may also be another error/inconsistency with the pattern. I could be mistaken but I think that the chart key has the colors mixed up.

The only question now is, am I a crazy obsessive knitter?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're an amazing knitter. Who cares about "crazy" & "obsessive"? You clearly enjoy it, and you create some wonderful pieces. I think that's really all that matters! :)

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up -- you swatched in the car!!! I think you have a lovely, charming, gifted and healthy obession. Rock on.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home