Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Been Awhile

You may not have noticed but it has been about 2 weeks since I last posted. Fortunately, K has been doing an admirable job carrying the blog weight around here. Over that time I have have a trial (which is why I didn't post at first), started karate (I have had 2 classes), had a spat with blogger, and had a lovely, peaceful Thanksgiving holiday which involved wonder food and a lot of down time.

Even though I haven't been posting, I have been knitting. I bought some Great Adirondack Merino/Silk yarn which I used to create my own version of the Rowan Birch Shawl. The yarn is coppery, brown, and green. Since the yarn is denser than KidSilk Haze, my shawl lacks the ephemeral quality of the original. My version is also Trapezoidal rather than triangular. This is due in large part to the amount of yarn I had versus the amount of yarn called for in the pattern. I have decided that I like the trapezoidal shape since the bottom of a triangle doesn't really add to warmth or usefulness

As far as Holiday knitting goes, I made a single sock out of ArtYarns for one of my friends (yes there will be a second sock as well). The pattern is the Buffalo Sock (I think that is the name) from the current IK. The sock knits up incredibly fast.

I also started a cardigan for my newest cousin. The pattern is a seed stitch and cable sweater designed by Debbie Bliss. My cousin is about 5-6 months right now, I wanted to make the sweater large enough that he can grow into it and wear it for more than a day, so I chose the 12-18 month size. I have serious concerns about the size though. While I have gotten the correct gauge, 4 1/2 st per inch, the back measures about 15" across. The pattern claims that the sweater is for a child with a 27 1/2" chest, the front halves are each almost exactly 1/2 the size of the back (stitchwise) and there appears to be about an 1 overlap on the front halves, so I don't see how this will be anything other than way too big. Since I don't have children though, and since Debbie Bliss does lots of designs for kids I am going to hold on to crazy optimism for now. Apparently Blogger doesn't want to let me post pictures of the sweater right now. I may try to add some latter on.

PS, sorry if I am rambling and not making a ton of sense. I am very tired right now, I went to see Amanda Palmer, from The Dresden Dolls, at the Paradise in Boston with The Bitter Knitter last night and was therefore up past my bedtime.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For kids stuff, bigger is always better than smaller, because they only get bigger. Even if he can't wear it soon, it'll fit before you know it. Plus the sleeves can be rolled up etc. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yep, I agree with Cora... kids grow like weeds!
I love that shawl- I bet its nice and warm

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home