Sunday, November 19, 2006

My first self-designed sweater!

I finally finished the soul destroying baby sweater, also known as my first design ever. It's nothing complicated, or anything, and I borrowed heavily from a couple of sources, but it still took a bit of math, so I'm calling it mine. Anyway, here it is:

Stats:

Pattern: My own, but borrowed heavily from the Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts and The Handy Book of Sweater Patterns.
Yarn: Classic Elite Flash, don't know the colorway, but it's got turquoise, lime green and grey in it
Size: 26" bust, which I think is a 2T
Needles: size 5 and size 7 Knitpicks Options circulars
Date started: 10/13/06
Date completed: 11/18/06
Description: This is a bottom-up raglan sweater that was knit entirely in the round. Each of the pieces were knit to the armholes and then joined and knit in one piece to the neck. There are hem facings at all of the edges. I think that's about it!
Overall thoughts: I'm really happy with the way it turned out, although I am concerned about the length of the sleeves. I have had this "concern" with other stuff I've made for Savannah. Since I "borrowed" the dimensions from The Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, I can only assume they know how to size a sweater for a child. All I know is that the sleeves on sweaters I've made from patterns in the past have been too long. We'll see.

I think I'm slowly coming to the realization that socks may not be my favorite thing to knit. However, I have been dying to work with my Mama-E sock yarn ever since I received it. I'm trying something new so that I can actually make use of it. I'm making a scarf, the Misty Garden scarf from Scarf Style. I think the colorway was called Fall Foliage, so I'll probably call it my Fall Foliage Scarf. So far, I think the pattern is a really good match for the yarn. It isn't nearly this bright in person.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your sweater looks great! Love the yarn that you used.
good use of sock yarn too ; )

9:17 PM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Socks aren't my favorite thing to knit either. I too have some sock yarn that I really want to use, so I will knit at least 1 more pair (to make a total of 2 pairs) before I completely give up on them :)

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home