Thursday, November 09, 2006

*&%! (Expletive Deleted)


I had planned a relatively short post on Season of Darkness for today. I had planned to tell you all that I ran out of the background (main) color for the sweater. I had planned to reassure you all that this was not unexpected and that I knew from the moment that I started that I didn't have enough yarn, and that I had already ordered more from Circles at the time I started.

I had also planned to share my newest finished sock, made from Cherry Tree Hill Sock yarn. I was going to complain that I made my bind off a scosh too tight. Not so bad that it cuts of circulation or anything, but tight enough to make it difficult to get on.

Unfortunately between the end of my usual Wednesday night knit group and the time I went to bed I discovered a disaster (of sorts). After months of languishing I decided to knit a row, or two, of my Wedding Ring Shawl. This shawl is being made from gossamer weight silk yarn. The yarn is extremely fine and came on a cone. The fact that it was on a cone meant that there would be no ends to weave in, which I thought was a wonderful bonus. The yarn is just slightly thicker than a spider web. What I discovered when I picked up my cone, and my shawl was that some of the slippery silk slipped off of the cone and tied itself into multiple knots. This is how the yarn looked after I spent at least an hour last night working on it and 15 minutes or so this morning working on it. The knots are tiny and they are tight. I haven't been able to loosen the "core" knots at all. This morning I broke the yarn on either side of the tangle. I don't know if this was the right decision, I don't really want to have to weave in ends in this shawl, but I just couldn't fight the knot.

8 Comments:

Blogger bitterknitter said...

Your poor yarn :(

Silk doesn't spit/felt/join together like wool would does it?

I can't wait to get back to my WRS. I miss it and now that my exam is over I might have the brain power to knit a few rows again!

10:28 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Oh, honey. (See, sometimes my Texas shows...)

That BLOWS. I don't know if I could have deleted the explitive(s).

Thank goodness you get a drink tonight, no?

10:32 AM  
Blogger ~Kristie said...

That sweater is GORGEOUS!!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jscothammerquist said...

Oh you know how I love that sweater, it is so beautiful.

What is it about yarn, when left alone in the darkness, will wend and weave itself into such heartache ?

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, chick. On a shawl that with that level of complication, though I doubt anyone would notice if you tied a realy secure knot in the yarn and just kept knitting. As you've seen, the yarn knots really well!

Hope you figure out something that you can live with. See ya later.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your sweater is amazing! I can't imagine knitting something that gorgeous.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

grrrr, stupid knots! That sucks! Anywho, your sweater is AMAZING! I love your finished sock too, great colors : )

4:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yes, i suppose sometimes we must admit defeat and deal with what we've got... c'est la vie!

That sweater is amazing, though!

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home