Monday, September 11, 2006

Fun-Filled Weekend

I had one of those really busy weekends where you feel like it was just Friday afternoon about 10 minutes ago. I actually really needed to get my act together and take care of a lot of domestic, school and errand -tye stuff, but instead, I just had a bunch of fun. I'll end up paying for it this week, believe me.

On Friday night, I went clothes shopping for several hours because my husband wasn't home. I figured it was the perfect opportunity and a good way to spend my evening alone. Although I initially struck out at about 7 or 8 stores, I finally found a bunch of great things, so I'm really excited to wear them this week.

On Saturday, I had my Eunny Vest class with knitting guru Dave Kraft. The class attendees were the usual suspects, and a great group of gals to take a knitting class with. It was Cora, Jen, Allison, Margaret and a new woman who was forced to enter our crazy but cozy little world and seemed to fit in right away. All week last week I was worred that I had completely forgotten how to do fair isle knitting and that I would be the class loser. In the end, it came back to me fairly quickly, although I still need a lot of practice to get it looking good. This is my color combo. The grey isn't nearly that blue, though. I'm not 100% convinced I'm happy with my color combo. I'm wondering if blue might be better instead of burgundy. After half of my swatch was done, I started to realize that my floats were horribly tight and causing the colorwork to pucker, so I loosened up and it got a lot better. Once I loosened up, I also got gauge!

On Saturday night I went out to dinner with my parents and my husband to celebrate my scholarship. We went to the Palm in the Gaslamp District of downtown San Diego,which was a lot of fun since I hardly ever make it down there. My goodness, things have changed there. So sophisticated! I hardly recognized the place. There was a Starbucks on a corner (I think 10th and Market, or something like that) where just three years ago or so, it was such a bad part of town, you wouldn't want to walk through.

I didn't do a lot of knitting this weekend, but I did make miniscule progress on Somewhat Cowl. At this point I'm about 5 rounds from starting the ribbing, which will go on for about 3 inches. Then, it's on to finish the sleeves and add the cowl. There's still quite a bit to do, but the end is at least in sight at this point. Although our weather has been positively beautiful, lovely and heavenly, it's still not cool enough for a wool sweater, so there's no rush with this one. With all of the homework that I have to do this week, though, I doubt I'll get very far with it, though.

On Sunday, I did more shopping, this time with Cora. I hit the same mall I hit on Friday night and I bought MORE stuff. I decided last week that my wardrobe needed a serious renovation, hence the shopping. I even bought some makeup and nail polish in an attempt to rejuvenate the beauty routine. I may even begin doing a regular brow and lip wax thing, too. I know...BIG changes. You just get tired of looking like a college student after a while.

Sunday night was dinner with my brother and sister-in-law and my adorable neice Savannah, who has taken to growling. I think she learned it from my husband who growls at her like a bear. It's really quite adorable.

What all this clothes shopping means, though, is that I didn't buy ANY yarn. Wow!

Now, since I did not get all of those boring life and work things done this weekend, it's down to business for me. I also didn't get a chance to mail out the package to our contest winner, but I have the envelope ready and have located the yarn in my stash. Now, it's just a matter of finding time to get to the post office.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Katie Johnson said...

Wow, your weekend exhausted me! What fun:-) How come no pics of the new clothes!!????

I'm pretty impressed and amazed with your Fair Isle knitting. I've done exactly one heart, one time. That's as far as my knitting bravery took me. And you should see the back of the work!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

Congrats on the clothes! I am in some serious need of wardrobe expansion myself. I am seriously pushing the casual part of my business casual work wear. Somehow I don't think leather tennis shoes nor my solid color t-shirt that I am wearing today are what they had in mind.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, what a weekend! Your swatch looks FANTASTIC!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home