Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Sock Obsession

It started innocently enough with some sock yarn for the Circles knit along in connection with the Mostly Merino trip. One pair of Pomatomus later I thought socks were out of my system. After all, I don't really like making socks, as proof I can show you the cabled sock that I created myself that has already moved past the gusset decrease on the second sock, yet has been stalled, incomplete, for months. Clearly, I don't like making socks. But then something happened...

I tried Magic Loop in a toe up sock for Lissy from my Wed. night, North End s'nb, and an obsession began. I wrote before that the first of Lissy's socks are done, I don't want to start the second until I make sure the first fits, so I started, and finished a Baudelaire sock. After finishing that I decided to start a different sock. My current theory is that if I do a bunch of different first socks, then when I get around to doing the second sock it will be like a brand new sock. This recent sock is done using Vesper sock yarn (Knit and Tonic colorway) and one of the stitch patterns from Sensational Knitted Socks. I decided to use the toe up method and so I adjusted the recipe accordingly and I gave it a short row heel.

With that sock done I turned to Widdershins and started another new sock. I used some Knitpicks Sock Garden (I forget the name of the colorway) and again used the Magic Loop method. I have already turned the heel and have started the leg. I am concerned that this sock will be too small, but so far I can still wear it. I never did a gauge swatch so I don't know if I have gauge. Basically this is sock number 4 in approximately 2 weeks, and I don't have a pair of socks yet. Thing is I don't care that I don't have a pair yet, it isn't as if I can wear them now anyway.

Finally, I started something else new last night. I am not going to say what it is, because it could be awful. All I will say is that it isn't a sock.

5 Comments:

Blogger bitterknitter said...

Something new! What is it? I can't wait to find out what possibly awful something you are knitting (and I doubt it will be awful).

Wow, you are on a roll with the socks. You can mix and match to wear them now. Who says that you need to wear socks that are the same?

10:49 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Emily's right - socks don't need to match (mine don't today). Check this out:
http://www.littlemissmatched.com/a

11:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The door prize yarn! Widdershins looks good.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't there some lady in Maine that knits unmatched socks?
Your socks look great : )

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally dig your old sock becomes new theory. I think I've been working on that principle myself lately without really noticing. I feel validated now!

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home