Friday, April 14, 2006

Spring is in the Air!


I have had my first true spring time experience, no I am not talking about the daffodils I saw blooming this morning, I am talking expensive cheap beer and outrageously priced ball park fries. A night at Fenway Park, it is truly spring! No photos yet of Fenway, I didn't want to bring my camera (it isn't small), with my luck I would loose it the way the Sox lost the game.

I am still not sold on any edge for the blanket. At least I still have "ABC" to do before I have to seriously think about it. I am so unsure that the other night I asked my mom to check this blog and give me her opinion. After commenting on the cute sweater (me: did K post after I left work?) then changing her complement to the cute afghan, she immediately said she like the original edge. A moment later she is loving Rogue (hmmm, a future Christmas gift?) Then she moves on to seeing York, and asks what it is. A sweater, of course! After mom hears that York will be my 4th completed sweater of this year (when it is done) (hey, don't look at me like that! One of the sweaters was started in '05) she oh so kindly tells me "You need to get a life" Gee, thanks mom, couldn't have figured that one out on my own...

It gets better, next mom tells me about an episode of Grey's Anatomy where a doctor uses knitting to achieve celibacy (she has bad judgment in men, apparently) . Apparently knitting=celibacy, who knew?! I, of course, explain to my mom that that isn't the case (I don't mention the lingerie along I will be participating in though) and I tell my mom that the doctor would have been better off getting a vibrator. Amazingly, that ended the discussion.

The question du jour is what does "having a life" mean? Having a boyfriend? My choice in men has been less than stellar and I think it is very wrong to define your life through another individual. Life has to come from within, not without. Does having a life mean going on vacations? Out to eat with friends? Going to museums? I do do these things. Most Americans sit at home at night and watch tv, when I do that I knit. I do spend more time on the weekends knitting that people I know in relationships, but why is that bad?

Any way, enough pointless and boring ponderings. As you can see, I have both halves of the front of York done, and a good chunks of the sleeves done as well. I may be on track to average 1 sweater a month.

Till later, enjoy the day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn, 4 sweaters? Hey, I've got this sweater I've been trying to finish...

"Life" is kind of like the word "Fun". Often, my idea of "Fun" does not coincide with the general concensus about what "Fun" is. (See: knitting)

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How jealous am I that you got to go to a Sox game? Even if they did lose. I'm paying $179 to watch sox games all season on my cable!
I think "having a life" depends on what you think it means... you can't live by someone else's ideals. If you're happy, thats what matters ;)

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! 4 sweaters! :-P
Everyone's definition of "having a life" is different. Its what you want, what you see as important. York is looking good, i love how the yarn is striping : )

11:47 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Having a boyfriend definately doesn't qualify as "having a life". I like Christine's view, it means fun. I think I kinda have a life, I knit and go out with friends sometimes, I enjoy time with my kitties and go out with D, I am usually having fun and I do things that I enjoy.

12:08 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

I think 'having a life' is being happier more time than you're not. For some people, being happy is dressing up like Star Trek characters or going to EVERY Red Sox game... it's different for everyone.

Now you've given me food for thought...

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been my experience that once you have a man, you never get to go out anymore, and you still knit and watch tv and putter around the house. You go to museums and bars and restaurants with your girlfriends, and about once in a blue moon, the guy says, let's really let our hair down and go to brunch (low price and as much bacon as you can eat). At least, that's MY life, and yes, I do call it a life.

As to whether to get yourself a man, if that hasn't worked out, how about a woman? That was going to be my next move until I met Gary. ;)

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home