Monday, April 03, 2006

Scary Knitting Story

This is a cautionary tale for all knitters out there. Even though I generally consider knitters to be honest and trustworthy people, I guess every group has its black sheep. As I mentioned, I started Starsky at Rebecca's yesterday and by the end of the day, I had gotten halfway to the armholes. I did a quick and dirty measurement and it was several inches too narrow. I figured it was because my swatch had been a little narrow, too - you know, another gauge lesson to be learned. I thought that with a good, aggressive blocking, everything would be OK. So, this morning, I continued and for some reason, all of the pieces started fitting together. For you ladies who were at Rebecca's with me, since when has Addi switched to black cords for its Turbos? Again, I just figured they had made a change. I don't know why it was so hard to get it through my head. Then, wait a minute, these are a little small to be 10 1/2's. I wonder what size they are...

Then it hits me. These aren't even Addi Turbos! Check the bag - everything OK there. It's just the needles. But how could this happen? OK, they're size 9's. Why would the Grove do this? I mean, they wouldn't, right? Aha, now I get it - some asshole returned size 9 Susan Bates needles in place of size 10 1/2 Addi Turbos! I swear, couldn't they have returned size 10 1/2 Susan Bates needlesso at least I wouldn't have to rip out everything I'd done so far! God, I was so pissed, as you can imagine. So, I went to the Grove where they were totally shocked and dismayed because they had been ripped off. So much for trusting knitters, huh? I considered buying the right size, but I figured I'll use some cheap needles that I already have and buy myself a little treat to make myself feel better. So, I bought this patern and the Dyed Cotton in Shrimp to match. Btw, I understand that the pattern has MAJOR error in it, so if you're planning on making it, let me know.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Drat! Now that I've seen it, I may have to make it.

Sorry about your needle problems. Good thing you caught on before you got too, too far along.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

Unbelievable! It was probably a knitter-poser that did that. One of those people who is knitting because its fashionable, not because they are a hopeless yarn addict. I'm so sorry you had to go through that :-( Boo, bad knitters.

9:27 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

What an awful person. Maybe that is one of the reasons that so many yarn stores don't allow needle returns. The tank is cute, I'm sure that any error will be easy enough to fix on such a simple pattern (esp. since you know it is there!).

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just awful! I'm so sorry!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That just sucks. :( Who would do something so crappy!?

(but hooray on the tank project- looks really cute!)

Ah... starsky... I haven't been able to get through an entire repeat of the cable yet (drat having dinner parties!) but I suspect that there is something wrong with the way the cable pattern lines up with the 2x3 rib. Gah!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrid thing to do!!! Truly tacky!
I have that tank pattern and the yarn to make. Might even be the same color, a pretty rosy color. When you want to start let me know and we'll trudge through it together.
Allison - the 3x3 doesn't match exactly either. It goes off quite a bit in the back. You can see it on the back view picture on Knitty. Only one of the ribs lines up (the one on the left) with a bottom rib.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I've changed the ribs to match the pattern. I know there is an correction on the website about the pattern placement on the front. Anything else?

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sooo lame! I agree with Dis... defintely a poser!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home