Thursday, April 06, 2006

In Re: Rogue


As I said in my last post, last weekend I got a lot of knitting done. I mentioned briefly that I had some progress on Rogue. Well that progress was to finish the knitting. Yes, I had enough yarn to finish the knitting. How, you may ask, did I have enough yarn? Wasn't I over half way done the last 2 skeins before I even started the knitting straight? Very good questions, and good memory. I ran out of yarn while on the cap shaping for one sleeve, but had enough yarn to finish the other sleeve and to do a few more rows of the unfinished sleeve, but not to finish the sleeve. How then, could I possibly be finished? Did I find another skein somewhere? No, I did not, but I had a secret. All was not as desperate as I made it seem. I had, in among my stash, the dregs of 2 skeins of the yarn. You see, when working on the pockets I had to cut the yarn when there was not much left to the skein. This little left over yarn I decided to save so that I could have yarn for seaming. I didn't really think there was much more than seaming amounts left. Fortunately, I was wrong. From the dregs of one skein I managed to finish the unfinished sleeve, and to do an I-cord edge to the center front. The cardigan mods called for a 4 stitch applied I-cord. I feared this would take too much of the precious yarn, so instead I did an I-cord bind off, and still had some left over yarn from the first dreg! After that I blocked the sleeves (I had previously blocked the body) and called it quits for the weekend.

Last night I took the second dreg and started seaming. Now I have both sleeves attached and one sleeve mostly sewn up. The dreg is all but used up. I may have enough to sew up the second sleeve, but I may have to undue my gauge swatch and use that for seaming, but either way, I will have made my 12 skeins (or was it 13 skeins?) finish the entire sweater, which I knit more tightly than called for, and so followed the directions for the 41 (or was it 43) inch bust, I only had the called for amount of yarn for the 39 inch bust. All I can say is, boy am I lucky. Next step, weaving in ends and finding a tailor to put in a zipper, I have no clue how to do that on my own.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought that pattern.... it is gorgeous!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure there're a lot of metaphors to describe how narrow your escape from disaster was, but I can't get them straight in my head right now. I am simply so amazed that you pulled it off.

Now go get nachos.

11:22 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Yay! I knew that you'd have enough yarn. I'm sure that the point of a swatch is to store the yarn for use in seaming.

nachos sound good.

12:36 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

Holy cow! ROCK ON! And we didn't even ask about this last night. How lame are we??

Mmmm. Nachos...

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Talk about cutting it close!
Your Rouge looks amazing : )

11:49 PM  
Anonymous saima said...

I just bought that pattern.... it is gorgeous!

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home