Monday, April 10, 2006

Sleeves are done!

Starsky seems to be moving along quickly. In a week, I've done the back and two sleeves! I think there might be something wrong with the sleeve proportions. According to the pattern, the sleeves are supposed to be 30" long. That's about 7 inches longer than the average sleeve that I've knitted in the past. I know it's a bulky sweater, so it's supposed to be a little loose and casual, and I know that the sleeves are cuffed, but I still think they're too long. So, I removed two inches from the length and finished them up. When I held them up, they were still quite long, but I guess I'll cuff them a little more than the pattern calls for. I was going to take a break before starting on the fronts, but since the sweater is moving along so quickly, and since my yarn for the VK Floating Shrug should be in any day now, I should finish this up in time for the knitalong that I'm doing for that sweater.

In other news, my zipper from zipperstop.com arrived on Saturday along with my color cards. From this photo, it looks like the zipper doesn't match at all, but it's actually a decent match, just a little darker than the fabric. I'm thinking that I may try to put it in myself, and if I have a lot of trouble, I'll admit defeat. Anybody out there have any idea how to attach it to the sweater fabric? Should I use regular sewing thread? Do I just sew it by pulling the thread through to the right side of the sweater or do I do some kind of whipstitch thing to the wrong side. Am I making any sense at all? I understand that I'm supposed to baste the fronts together first and then pin the zipper in and see how it looks, does that sound right? As you can tell, I'm not much of a seamstress. I just want the satisfaction of being able to say, "I made this entire sweater myself!" To have to say that a tailor helped me just seems wrong.

Finally, has everybody seen the new knitty already? Overall, I'm underwhelmed. I do like the little girls' sweater, and it's timely since I need to knit a delicate little sweater for my neice's christening in August. Other than that, there really wasn't anything that I see myself knitting. The socks were OK, too. I've really been looking foward to this one, too, and I'd heard good advance word. Who knows? Maybe everybody else thinks it's amazing. What do you all think?

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ChicKnits has a zipper tutorial that may help. None of my advice would.

8:53 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

I wasn't terribly impressed with the new Knitty either. Oh well.

Both you and J doing zippers right now! I'm glad I have a sewing machine for when I get to the zipper on Mariah.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can wait until Sat, I'll help you with the zipper.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sew mine using backstitch, with normal sewing thread, all the way through the knitted fabric. For this reason I always make sure the thread matches the knitted fabric, not the zipper fabric.

I liked the same two patterns in Knitty, though I have no one to make the sweater for. :) I'll probably make the socks eventually.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not impressed with Knitty either. Liked the same two patterns. What's up with the knitted sea-life?

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe your progress on Starsky!

Love the new sweater.

Hate the new knitty. I'm not in love with anything.
:(

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're definitely not alone with Knitty. its all nice stuf, but just not anything I HAVE to knit.
I'm in awe of your startsky progress though! Good job ;)

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, not sure how else to get this to you, but JordanaPaige (who designed Starsky) posted this on Craftster in regards to the neck:

The length of the collar you see in the photo is 6 inches at the center back. At the center front it is 3.5 inches (size small). No matter type of altering you do, you'll want to keep the center front at 3.5 inches so that everything lines up correctly. But, if you want a larger collar, or simply need to fix it because you have a different gauge here's what you would do:

Note: I'll be using the size Small for this explanation.

Figure out what you want the length at the center back to be. We'll say 8 inches. This is 2 inches more than the pattern. Assuming you do have the same gauge as the pattern of 4.5 ROWS=1 inch (if not, insert yours here), then you're going to need an additional 10 rows (2x4.5=9; but we need an even number, so 10).

Work through this part on the collar:
Next Row [WS]: P3, [k3, p3] to end.
This row sets 3x3 Rib for the collar. Work in 3x3 Rib as set throughout the rest of the Collar.

Now where it says: Begin short rows:
Instead of turning after 8 sts past marker you would be turning after 4 sts past the marker. Then 4, 8, 8, 12, 12, 16, 16, etc...40.

In this instance you're basically doubling the short row portion of the collar. So, you would be W&T twice as much. For numbers that don't work out as nicely, you just need to calculate the number of stitches you have and how often you need to turn, adding rows to acheive the desired length.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous hassam said...

so nice blog.so

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home