Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Grey Goose and the Pink Martini

This week, I proved that when a knitter has one of her valuable, but small, pockets of knitting time forcibly removed from her schedule by a "non-knitter", the results are frightening. I know that I have to share the planet with non-knitters, work alongside them, have them as roommates, etc. I even ended up married to one, and we peacefully co-exist most of the time, that is until he says, "I've got to find space for all of this yarn." Then, it's ON!! But that's another post. What happened to me was that I was working on a school project with one of these non-knitter people (we'll call her the Stick Figure With No Soul) who decided, using all of the wisdom of her 22 years on this planet, that we could get a lot of work done on our project between 10 and 11 a.m., during our hour break in between classes. All semester, this is when I have scurried off to the library to sit and knit quietly in an effort to restore my equilibrium. I figured, if all else fails, this hour cannot be trifled with, even if I have a lot of homework or have to work a lot of hours or whatever, this is my time and I can ALWAYS knit for this hour every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But the Stick Figure had other plans for me. Apparently, it wasn't enough that we worked on the project every single afternoon and evening, cancelling out all of my other knitting time. No, we had to squeeze in a little extra, too, so that she could go away this weekend. But I felt silly telling her that I couldn't work on the project because I had to knit, even if it was to save my sanity, so I didn't.

So, what happens when I lose those 3 precious hours of knitting? Well, let's just say I was a tad cranky this week. We could also say that I worked myself into an allout rage by Friday. I could feel the heat of my blood as it flowed through my veins and my muscles were coiled into tight little balls. The slightest thing set me off either crying or sneering or yelling. My stomach churned, I couldn't sleep, I was snapping at basically everybody, both people who didn't deserve it (professors, husband, people on the street) and people who did (Stick Figure). By Friday afternoon, all I could think about was having a Grey Goose Cosmo. That's right, 3 hours of stolen knitting time literally drove me to drink. I went to the store, bleary-eyed and on the verge of a mental breakdown, to buy the fixins and I Grey Goosed myself into chemically-induced relaxation. I also happily knitted, free of interference, and finished this!
That's the left front of Starsky done with the braided cable from Josephine. I've started the right front, too and I've finished one repeat of the cable so far. The right front's cable is a mirror image of the left's, which I really like. I also really like that the decreases perfect cradle the cable in the center so it's able to go all of the way to the shoulder. I've very pleased with the way it turned out. Here's a close-up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Great cable choice. You are FLYING on Starsky! Enjoy Easter!

7:17 AM  
Blogger KnittingJones said...

I am very impressed that you could complete a complicated cable pattern while drinking Grey Goose cocktails! Kudos.

7:17 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

Wow.

I agree - knitting is more than 'just knitting' which those non-knitters just don't get. It's something that can't be trifled with, at least not too much.

I've been there, and am impressed that you didn't kill the Stick Figure with your needles. Hope this week is better. :)

And Starsky looks great!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. Without our uninterrupted Sat Starsky knit group, I didn't sleep well last night and am a bundle of nerves today just waiting to blow. I NEED my knitting time!! Don't these "others" understand this?

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Can't believe how far you are on Starsky! (I will never finish, for the record)

And, don't you think that the stick figure without a soul needs to find her inner knitter? It would make her a better person....

11:12 PM  
Anonymous hassam said...

Great cable choice. You are FLYING on Starsky! Enjoy Easter!

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home