Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Home Again

After a wonderful long weekend I have made it safely back to Boston. Thanks again to K and her husband for putting me up and putting up with me. I love San Diego it is a truly great city. On Sunday K and I went for brunch/breakfast at Spread, which is a vegetarian restaurant which uses only organic produce bought daily from the organic co-op in Ocean Beach. We shared some banana curry oatmeal and pad Thai eggs, both were wonderful, and after eating you aren't left with that bloated disgusted feeling, but instead knew that you had a healthy delicious meal.
Later on Sunday we met with some San Diego Knitters, first in Rebeccas (which makes killer scones) then over at the Grove. I got to meet bloggers Kris and Disentanged and non-bloggers Allison and Cora. Here we all are over at the Grove, Susan, the owner has not yet joined us, she was busy working. While in San Diego I learned a few things to. K taught me how to combination knit and how to cable without a needle. Susan taught us (K and I) a new binding off trick to make the bind off a little looser (I tried the trick on my hood)

Yesterday was my flight home, which was basically uneventful. The only thing that did happen is that a brand new size 7 dpn decided it was done with me and instead wanted a life of travel. For those who know me from the N.End knitter's you know this is not an unusual reaction for a dpn belonging to me. This dpn jumped from my hand just as I was planning on using it, it went who knows where on the floor. I was in a middle seat on a crowded plane, so I wasn't able to hunt for it. Based on the gate that my plane landed at, I think my dpn went to London. I don't know where it went after that. If anyone is seated in seat 16E of an American Airlines 757, take a look for my size 7 5" dpn. If you find it, let me know where it ended up. Thankfully, I passed on buying the Lantern Moon size 7. I was using the dpns to make a hat, which I finished using the remaining 4 dpns. I made a Clapotis cap. I have never made Clapotis, and haven't had much interest in doing so, though K's is lovely and so is the mini one that BitterKnitter made. I saw the cap pattern though, and had a skein of shepherd's worsted (thanks K!) and so it seemed like fate. Well, I still have a lot of the skein left over, and the top makes a mountain peak on my head, but it is a very nice hat. Not great for really cold weather, but will be nice when there is just a chill in the air.

I also finished the hood for my jacket yesterday, and I made 3 buttons for it this am. I was also able to start the heel flap for my sock.

Oh, I nearly forgot, when I got home my gossamer silk was waiting for me. I ordered this from Heirloom Knits for the Wedding Ring Shawl from this site.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I peeked at the pattern, and I bet that if you were inclined, you could fix that peak just by re-knitting the crown without the k only rows...

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yarn you used for the hat is gorgeous. When I see you tomorrow, will you tell me what the colorway is? And how clever to make it a clapotis hat! I can barely cope with the concept of the shawl!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was nice meeting you!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

I'm glad you had a good trip back and it was so nice to meet you!

I can't wait to see your jacket all done. It is truly amazing in person.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry I wasn't able to meet you! I hope you had fun ;) hey, you know my bf works at the co-op in OB!

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home