Friday, January 27, 2006

Knitzalot - Designer?

I'm really embarassed to say that I have nothing photo-worthy to show you. I guess my time available for knitting hasn't been much lately. I'm up to 10 inches on my hood, which is good (I need 13). I cast on for the front of Savannah's hoodie, which is also good. I also started the heel flap of my Embossed Leaves socks. However, none of it is particularly interesting to look at, nor does it look like I've made much progress since the last time you saw these items. So...

Moving on...

I've been giving more and more thought to the idea of designing my own sweater. I've thought about it before, and always decided against it because I never quite got the creative juices flowing, and as soon as I began, I always started to see what an enormous amount of work it would be to create multiple sizes and have a pattern test-knitted so it could be published. Not to mention the difficulty of coming up with something that is original enough to actually put out there. Well, I've been perusing stitch pattern books and I've been inspired. I don't think I will actually try to submit my first design anywhere, so I feel that it's OK to begin talking about it. My main thought about the sweater is that it should be elegant and classy, while being feminine, pretty and delicate at the same time. I have some GGH Soft Kid in black that I bought at an LYS sale over the summer. As of yet, I haven't found an appropriate use for it. I'm picturing something that's rather fitted, maybe with 1 or 2 inches of ease, raglan sleeves with some delicate detailing around the seam and bell shaping at the wrist, waist shaping, and some lace/ruffle/crocheted edging details that make it a unique piece. I'm still shopping around for the particulars, but I'm quite excited about it. I'll keep you updated as I go along.

Finally, I have definitely decided to have a Stitch 'n' Bitch-type get together at my house here in San Diego this Saturday evening. I've already invited people who's email/blog addresses I have (and haven't managed to lose) but to those others of you out there who I haven't reached, (yes, Cora and Allison, that means you, and any of our other readers in San Diego), if you read this post, consider this an official invitation. If you're able to make it, I think it will be a really good time. There will be wine (of course), finger food, and plenty of knitting and good conversation. If you're allergic to cats, then uh oh, because I have three of them. If you think you can make it, email me at thepurlygate@gmail.com to let me know and I'll give you directions to my house!

By the way, there's a small chance that J will actually be making a San Diego appearance in February! She wanted to make it to our little gathering this weekend, but circumstances and money being what they are, it hasn't worked out. BUT, maybe, maybe, in early February. If she comes, we're definitely going to have our own little knitting party, either at the Grove or at my house. Let's keep our fingers crossed! Toodles!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta check my calendar- will let you know about Saturday....

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home