Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What to do With a Rainy Weekend

The rain started falling on Friday of last week and it continued falling through Sunday. There were a couple of breaks in the rain, breaks long enough for a 3 baseball games to be played, but the breaks seemed tenuous and drizzly. It wasn't cold or even chilly out, but it is fall here in New England, so I decided to use the rainy weekend to try keeping busy doing some fallish things.
My first activity on Saturday morning was to make a pie crust. When the crust was ready I made an apple pie with a cheddar cheese crust.
While the pie was being prepped I soaked some black beans. By late Saturday afternoon I started making a pot of Southwest Black Bean Soup. A bowl of the soup was my dinner.
Since soup, by itself, seems a bit lonely I decided, while the soup was simmering, to make some corn bread. The recipe I used called for the corn bread to be made in a cast iron skillet. My cast iron skillet is only big enough for one veggie burger, so I made the corn bread in a cake pan.
While on my cooking frenzy, I finished up my Gothic Spire Socks (photo to come latter).

On Sunday, a new, rainy day dawned, and I had more indoor hours to fill. To fill those hours I finished reading 2 books, and finished knitting my Shaped Lace Tee (from Knitting Lingerie Style). I also fried up some Chili-cornmeal encrusted Tofu (recipe from the Veganomicon) to have for lunch during the week.
By the end of Sunday I was ready to jump out a window (and I actually was gone from my apartment for about 2 hours +-). I guess that I am not really that much of the type of person who enjoys THAT much at home domestic activity (please note that while I was domestic this weekend, there was no mention of me spending time cleaning, I guess I just can't reach that level of domesticity)

5 Comments:

Blogger wenders said...

Mmm. Corn Bread... who would waste a perfect knitting weekend CLEANING? I fully support your decision to engage in other activities. :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your knitted tee is beautiful! Cooler weather here means 80s, but I have been craving black bean soup.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The knitted tee looks awesome! Really flattering shape on you. I love the sound of the cornmeal chili crusted tofu. Must try that.

8:35 PM  
Blogger arianna said...

The food looks delicious - I especially wish I could've tried the pie!! yum - and the top looks, as always, GORGEOUS. (I feel like I overuse that word with your work, but damnit, it is always totally appropriate!) :) I wish I had been in the neighborhood, we could've endured the rainy days together with movies & knitting & yummy food, hehe.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Misty said...

That top is perfect! It suits you perfectly and I love the color. Wonderful work, as always!

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home