Thursday, September 27, 2007

Socks for a Hiking Trip

Yesterday at an undisclosed Massachusetts courthouse a green sock became part of a pair. I finished the second green Traveler's Sock. I forget the name of this sock yarn, but I did buy it specifically for these socks. I thought that the variegation in the same color would enhance the traveling stitch pattern that forms the cuff of the socks. As noted previously, these socks will coordinate with my hiking boots and my hiking pants (unfortunately they aren't really thick enough for backpacking). I plan to wear these socks on the first day of my White Mountain hiking trip. I don't think we will be doing much hiking on that day, and the hiking we do won't be of the backpacking variety. In addition to finishing these socks, I managed to finish my colorwork socks (from the current Interweave). One of the two is a Frankensock. This pair of socks was started using left over louet Gems sportweight merino. The yarn was left over from when I made Eunny's colorwork mittens last winter. I knew full well that there was no way I had enough yarn to make a full pair of the socks. I therefore made some alterations. First off, I made the leg shorter than the pattern called for, then instead of making 2 matching socks, I made one the inverse of the other, so that the color use would be roughly equal. Despite these changes, I ran out of the darker color yarn before the lighter, I then substituted some of the blue yarn that I am using for the edging to my Season's sweater to finish the dark part. Then I ran out of the light yarn mid toe. In order to finish the sock, I again used some of the Season's edging yarn. Now I have two socks that roughly coordinate, the fact that they don't remotely match doesn't matter much to me. These socks are going to be strictly "at home" slipper socks, with one exception: these socks will be going hiking with me. I am told that the huts that we will be staying in aren't heated, so these socks will be worn while I sleep so that my feet stay warm and cozy.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your socks look great, even the Frankensocks. Impressive work!

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they turned out great. It's more or less becoming your trademark to a) sail very close to the wind with your yardage and b) make an inspired and creative comeback in the face of such adversity. Therefore, there can be only two outcomes, which aren't mutually exclusive -- serendipity and stark raving insanity! Congratulations for pulling it off beautifully once again!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Siercia said...

Lovely socks!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home