Thursday, December 28, 2006

Vacation


I am at my parents house, visiting for a week, for Christmas. My trip is only now becoming relaxing. When I first got home I had to do some laundry (yes I still bring laundry home, I know it is pathetic...)

Then I had serious Christmas knitting left to do. I had to finish seeming my cousin's sweater, I had to start and finish a pair of cowgirl slipper socks for my grandmother, I wanted to try finishing seeming up the sweater I made for my other grandmother, LAST year, oh, and some how I had to try to sneak around and finish my mother's socks. Some of that got done, but not all.

The successes:

My cousin's sweater was the first project finished. You may, or you may not, be able to click on the photo to see it better. Yarn, Plymouth Encore, 2 skeins. Size 6 Addi Natural circular needles, Pattern--Debbie Bliss, thought I don't remember the name, something like Cable and Seed Stitch jacket. Buttons: Frog, duck, bear head, fish, elephant, hippo, and turtle. Reaction? His mothers loved it! They claim that everyone in Brooklyn will ask where they got it.

Next up, grandmom's Cowgirl Slipper Socks, no problem, the last pair I knit, I was able to get a full sock done in one day, and I had two days before Christmas! Well, this pair, I modified, my grandmother has swollen ankles, so I wanted to make them wider, this meant that the socks took a bit longer. I finished these socks on Christmas morning. Pattern, current IK, Cowgirl Slipper Socks, Yarn: 1 skein Lorna's Laces Shepherds Worsted, Size 5 Addi Turbo, Modifications: change the heel to what I think of as a more traditional heel, add 11 stitches per sock, and do three pattern row repeats rather than 4 (I was afraid I wouldn't have enough yarn).


The Failures:

Did you know that invisible seaming is only invisible if you use the same yarn knit with? I accidentally brought the wrong yarn and wasn't able to seam up my grandmother's sweater. I gave her the unfinished sweater and am taking it home to finish it, hopefully, some time soon. Sorry no photo of this.

My Mom's sock also was given an unfinished present. The set back of loosing my heel instructions caused me to loose about a week of knitting time (not that there was much knitting time to be found in the week before Christmas). I never did find my heel instructions, but fortunately, I realized that the heel I was using was a Welsh Heel, and I was able to find instructions for that on-line. Unfortunately, my parents were supposed to go out on Friday night, but instead choose to stay home, so I wasn't able to knit on that Friday night. I did manage to finish the sock yesterday, but it isn't an exact duplicate of the first sock. I have to write these things down...

Happy New Year everyone!

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Nothing like coming in under the wire!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, those aren't 'failures', they're delays. And one is your mom's fault. Changing plans to be out of the house at the last minute, when her daughter is a knitter. SHEESH! ;)

It all looks gorgeous - I still adore the baby sweater!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, great gifts! Lovely sweater, i love the buttons. Your mom's sock is awesome love the colors : )
Hope you have safe and happy new year!

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's the thought that counts. I LOVE that red sweater. I have a fetish for D.B. patterns. They are so solid and classy and beautiful. I wish I had gotten to see that one in person.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home