Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Winner!

I posed the question to you all, how many sweaters (kids or adult, sleeved or sleeveless) have K & I finished since we started this blog and many of you gave us your guess. We had guesses from 1 to 25,000 (though 25,000 was obviously sarcastic). The real number of sweaters that we have finished is....30! This means that our contest winner is Trek. Trek, please email us your address at thepurlygate@gmail.com and I will send you your prize, a skein of Olive Lacy Lamb. Thanks to everyone for guessing.

On Friday I came up with a plan for holiday knitting. My original plan was that I was only going to knit 1 gift, for my mother. Somehow this one gift idea was expanded and I am now knitting gifts for 5 people. In order to make it possible that I can get this done, I am not knitting anything major. There will be 2 pairs of worsted weight socks, one hat, a sweater (or maybe a pair of socks) a lacey scarf, and a baby sweater. This still seems daunting to me, but I have a decent start. Over the weekend I managed to finish one of the worsted weight socks (it was started a couple of weeks ago) and get over 1/2 through the second sock. The socks are for a man with size 13 feet, I bought 3 skeins of Artyarns (was it ultra merino or super merino?) and made the sock toe up. I finished with the first skein of yarn and then started the second sock. When I finished the second skein of yarn I divided the third in half and finished the first sock. I probably could have made the sock a small bit longer, but I wasn't sure if I had enough to do ribbing and more of the pattern (a 2x2 garter rib with a twisted stitch over the knit stitches).

I also started the lacey scarf. I am making this scarf for one of the few friends that I exchange holiday gifts with. I hadn't planned on making this friend anything, but since I am now going to be making her husband a hat and a mutual friend a pair of socks, I felt obliged to make her something too. I am not 1/2 done the scarf, but I am near 1/2 through it, which isn't bad since I started on Friday and didn't really work on it on Sunday. The pattern is the Trellis Scarf, poorly photographed in the Spring, 2006 IK. The only hitch with the patter in that you have to occasionally knit 7 together, making 5 stitches into the k7tog.

Coming Thursday, Seasons of Darkness delay...

5 Comments:

Blogger Disentangled said...

Yup - one knitted gift has turned into about 10. The ONLY way I'll get through it is cutting myself off from everthing else. I have a couple of those 'obligation' gifts on the list as well. So, I guess we are all in this together...once again!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's supermerino, I think. :) And it knits up so nicely! I'll have to try it some time.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You've got a good combination going. You're ambitious and generous, while being a prolific and excellent knitter. Sounds like a winning formula. I love the scarf. I think the Artyarns you're using is the Supermerino.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

How does that knitting gift list multiply? I thought that by writing it all down I could keep it under control, but no luck. Every year . . .

1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like you are off to a good start on your list! Lovely scarf and a cozy looking pair of socks : )

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home