Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Old FO

I finished this tank a few weeks ago, but never got around to wearing it. I finally decided to wear it to school on Monday, so I shot a few quick photos of it.


Stats:

Pattern: Amelie from Jaeger 39

Yarn: Kona Bay Cotton

Size: My own - 38" bust. I had to create a size in between two sizes.

Needles: Size 7 Addi Naturals for the body and Size 3 (or was it 4?) Addi Turbos for the lace edging

Modifications: Quite a few. First, I made up my own size, something that gave me 3 inches of negative ease around the bust and then I put in short rows based upon the formula in Big Girl Knits. I also knit it in the round, which it wasn't written for.

Lessons Learned: The body of the sweater fits me quite well, including across the shoulders, where I frequently have trouble. This sweater was sort of an experiment to see how well the short row shaping works for me when I make a smaller size, and I'd have to say it works well. When possible, I will definitely do this in the future. However, my row gauge was really off on this project, which caused me headaches in terms of strap length. After I wore the sweater for a while, the straps stretched out (as did the rest of the sweater, I might add). I've had this problem before, where my straps are already too long before I've finished decreasing. So, for my current project, Bristow, I'm recalculating the pattern for row gauge to see how it turns out. Also, I used a formula of a row gauge/stitch gauge to decide how to attach the lace edging at the bottom and it ended up working out well, and the edging looks fairly seamless.

Overall thoughts on the pattern: I thought this pattern, like many British patterns, was unnecessarily confusing when it came to shaping. I think each strap came out differently because I interpreted their rather vague instructions differently each time.

Here's a shot of the detail of the back. I had to stand on a stool to take the photo, and no one was home to tell me that it was all rumpled across the back, but at least you can see the neckline.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely tank! The color looks great on you

7:18 PM  
Blogger ~Kristie said...

That is the PERFECT color for you. It looks so rich & elegant. Beautiful!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Lookgs great - very flattering!

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home