Sunday, July 23, 2006

Summer in the City

Yesterday, despite the 100-plus temperatures and oppressive humidity (is this San Diego or Miami?), Disentangled and I managed to sweat our way through a Saturday knitting get-together. We nixed our usual gathering place, Rebecca's, because the the heat somehow gets trapped in there and the air is unable to move around and provide relief. As an alternative, we tried the Urban Grind in Hillcrest. Apparently, no coffee house in San Diego has air conditioning, except Starbucks, but I mean, c'mon. There's an unwritten rule in this town that you DON'T go to Starbucks, at least not in the city, because there are so many independent coffee houses. I almost never do because there is such a great variety. But I was almost desperate enough yesterday to violate the rule. Truly, though, the atmosphere wouldn't have been great even if the air was chilly. Anyway, the Urban Grind, although lovely, won't do as a permanent summer replacement for Rebecca's. I don't know if there will be a get-together next week because I don't know if anybody plans to show up, but the next time we have one, I was thinking we could try Influx in Golden Hill. I doubt they have air conditioning, but I have heard tales of cupcakes.

As far as projects go, I started Soleil with some Elann Sonata. I got through the lacey portion, but after a while, it made my forearms ache. The yarn is quite stiff, so I'm assuming that's the reason. Apparently, I'm going to have to take frequent breaks from that one.

After a while, I switched over to halfdome, which proved much easier on my hands. I have to say, though, that the combination of wool and cashmere made my hands really hot! I was really afraid I was going to run out of yarn, but I managed to finish it when I got home and tada: Don't you just love the look on his face? Of course, wearing a wool hat when it's miserably hot probably wouldn't make me smile, either. Depsite his sour mug (he wanted to look "cool" for the photo) he was actually very pleased with his hat. Here's a shot of the raglan decreases:

Project stats:

Pattern: halfdome from the Summer 2006 issue of knitty
Size: Adult
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (don't have the color information)
Needles: Addi Turbo circular, Size 3 (24" cord) and Size 5 (32" cord)
Date started: 7/20/06
Date completed: 7/22/06
Overall thoughts: This is a great pattern that fit Joe's head really well. I love the way the decreases look. However, I have one big complaint. Why isn't this pattern written to be knit in the round? I thought there must be reason it's knit flat, but there wasn't one that I could determine. In fact, since the bottom of the hat rolls, part of the seam is visible. I definitely plan on making this again, with this yarn (because it turned out sooo soft) but I will definitely knit it in the round.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is just way too hot lately!! Influx is a great coffe place, but the only problem with it is the lack of seating. Its usually crowded with people on thier laptops. I would like to say I could make it to that one, but I will be in the midst of studying fo finals :(

1:25 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

It came out great! I'm glad you were able to stretch the yarn. And I agree, seeing it again, I can't imaging why it couldn't be in the round.

P.S. As soon as I came home, I headed straight for the shower...felt so much better :-)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

That looks like a great hat and I'll make one for my Daughters Hubby in San Diego :)
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not in the round? Go figure! I'm up for trying Influx, especially if cupcakes are involved. What about down by the Harbor near Seaport Village? There's a little park on the outskirts and the temp would be great near the water.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been so HOT! It finally cooled down this weekend here in PA, after a very loud thunderstorm and a rainy weekend.
heehheee He looks so happy to be wearing his new hat! *L*

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's Caffe Calabria in North Park - I think they have A/C, but they close at 3PM most days - maybe an earlier start time is in order for that one. Are any of The Livingroom locations air-conditioned??

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can probably make it to a knit together this weekend if one happens, but yeah, it's hard to think of a good place to have one! Boo for lack of air conditioning...

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home