Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Win One for the Zipper!

As I mentioned on Monday, I finally sewed in my first zipper! I figure I get about a B- for execution, but an A for effort, seeing as it was my first one and all. On Saturday, I went to Joann's to get the necessary tools (i.e. needles, thread, pins), so I figured I'd spend around $5 total. I brought my 40% off coupon figuring that I'd get about 40 cents off of a package of sewing needles - yippee. Well, somehow, I ended up spending $35! Leave it to me, right? While I was picking up the practical, but boring, zipper-sewing paraphenalia, I also picked up Handknit Holidays. Turns out it was a good thing I had that coupon! I also bought 2 skeins of Wool-Ease chunky in order to make my husband a pair of socks from the book. So, overall, I got some good stuff for my $35.

But I digress. Sewing in the zipper took quite a while and I was up until 1 a.m. on Sunday morning finishing it. First, I tried to baste the fronts together, but decided that getting them straight was more difficult than actually sewing in the damn zipper straight, so I skipped that step and pinned in the zipper instead. Then, I basted it in and did my final sewing. When all was said and done, I was exhausted, but I had a finished sweater! I think that I sewed the fabric a little too far from the teeth, and I forgot that the stitches would show on the part of the collar that turns over (whoops), but I figure that just makes it a learning experience. I've basically had the sweater on my back for every second since, except when I'm asleep. It fits great and matches basically everything I own. I really like the way the shawl collar turned out.

I'll give you an update on Sitcom Chic on Friday. I ran into a major crisis today with it that I can hopefully resolve. So much for stress-free knitting.

6 Comments:

Blogger wenders said...

Wow. Congrats! Zippers scare me. I would have gone to a tailor, I think. :)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Where on earth did that sweater come from? I totally missed you starting that! :) Looks great.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

Congrats on your zipper success! It came out great :-)

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job!! You must model it on Sat. I'll pass on a secret for hiding the edge of the zipper on the collar part on Sat. It's easier shown than explained.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first zipper!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous hassam said...

Wow. Congrats! Zippers scare me. I would have gone to a tailor, I think. :)

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home