Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Little Breather

Tonight, I decided to take a little breather from my larger projects, which are mostly sweaters, and knit up a scarf that I'm going to call my Oscar Scarf because I knitted it mostly during the Oscar broadcast tonight.

I can't believe how awful this photograph makes it look. Here's a close-up of the stitch, not that this photo is any better. Sometimes, photographs just don't capture the beauty of a knitted object. It's actually a lovely scarf, "designed" over the phone by J on the fly. It's going to be a favorite, the kind of scarf that you can wear with anything for any occasion. OK, enough blubbering. I got the yarn (the fabulous Tahki Bunny Print) at Knitting in La Jolla at her price slashing sale for $4 per ball! A $12 scarf that would havecost at least $100 retail. Gotta love it!

Well, that means I didn't make as much progress on Sam as I was planning. Here's what I've got so far.

I had planned on picking up the stitches for the collar, and probably finishing the collar during the Oscars, but since I can't concentrate well when polishing off a bottle of champagne, I figured I should stick to the simple scarf. I think it was a good call. No point ruining what is turning out to be a nice sweater.

I also started on Rogue on Friday night. I had a hell of a time with the provisional cast-on. I kept losing the stitches I had cast on. Literally, every time I counted, I lost more stitches. I also didn't realize, for a while, that I was supposed to start with the smaller needle (it's that damn inability to actually read the pattern again), and since I'm cardiganizing it, I have to pay atttention to the changes I'm supposed to make. The cables are very challenging and interesting, but that's a good thing! I must have peace and quiet in order to work on it.

I also scored at the Knitting in LJ sale on some Rowanspun DK that I plan to use for a simple Raglan pullover out of an ancient IK. It's nothing extravagant or fabulously complicated, but it's the kind of simple, classic, flattering sweater that gets worn a lot. To me, those are the best kind of knitted objects. I bought everything she had, but it wasn't enough so I had to order more on ebay. As usual, the camera didn't capture the amazing color.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is still interested in making Starsky. It's definitely not too late to add yourself to our little knitalong. It's nothing formal, but I do think it would be a blast to get together and knit on it once in a while. I know we loved "Lettuce" for a color when we were looking at the colors on the computer, but did anyone notice that they're out of stock on it? No biggie. Looks like they're getting more in on 4/7. I'm thinking of ordering my yarn fairly soon and maybe trying out some of those new Knitpicks summer yarns. They have a new wool/cotton blend and a worsted version of Shine.

2 Comments:

Blogger Disentangled said...

I picked up a couple hanks of that same color Rowanspun back when I went - it went to my secret pal already, otherwise I could have traded with you.

P.S. I ordered my Starsky yarn in Cranberry! Can't wait :-)

Congrats on your sweater progress!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh.... disentangled! already ordering the yarn! making the rest of us look like slackers!

Actually, I've been agonizing over the color. I think I might just be dull and use the exact cream the original pattern is done in. It would go with so much more... and I feel some strange need to be practical with this. Not sure why.


Damn- you did score on the yarn! Can't believe what great deals you got! :)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home