Monday, February 27, 2006

A Break From Brioche


Sadly, I am not a champion, I clearly lack the drive necessary to meet this challenge, or I didn't love my sweater enough to drive me on to glory, either way, no gold for this knitter. In fact, I haven't even worked on Bi-color brioche since last Wednesday. What?! Does that mean I haven't knit since last Wednesday? Never fear, that isn't what I meant at all, as I indicated in my Saturday post, I picked up a long neglected UFO, one of the lace shawls from the Fall, 2005 VK. Number 18, designed by Meg Swansen, if I remember right, in fact. I managed to turn that UFO into an FO! I finished the knitting before the flame went out, and I had it blocking as the Olympics ended.
Details:
Lace Stole #18, VK Fall 2005
Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud, knit on Size 8 Lantern Moon straights
Began 10/31/05
Ended 2/26/06
The nice thing about this shawl is that if I am out at night and the temperature is sub-freezing, and I decided not to wear a hat, I can just fold the stole into quarters widthwise and wrap it around my head and create ear warmers, not that I might have call to do this mind you.

After finishing with that shawl I immediately cast on for Nancy Bush's Madli Shawl from Interweave Knits using my Georgetown Helen's Lace. Can I just tell you that I love Helen's Lace? Not sure how I feel about my colorway as I see it knit up, but the Helen's Lace has a wonderful soft hand and I think it feels magnificent knit up. I saw a sage colorway when I was in CA and now I am feeling a strong desire to add that to my collection, perhaps, 2 skeins worth, imagine the huge, lovely soft, warm shawl that I could make with that...

I also cast on for my second shelridge farms sock. I finished my cuff and am on the cable pattern. I was afraid that if I waited too long the second sock wouldn't ever get done, and I liked the way the first sock felt on my foot.

Finally, brioche, I will continue working on brioche and will do the final (perhaps) lesson on Thursday. Should I bother doing a cast-on first row series of photos? Please let me know.

7 Comments:

Blogger lobstah said...

I think any knitter would say that it's OK to put something that's not inspiring you aside... especially when you get to pick up some luscious lace instead!

I think the Helen's Lace colors are beautiful, too :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Pretty shawls!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Helen's lace and phooy on the nasty brioche. (although I love the tutorial) It looks like atlantic ocean water on a sort of cloudy day! At least it matches the freezing cold water I stood in and have picture proof of. The VK shawl is yummy.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the colors of the lace; the yellow with the blue gives it an antique feel. Congrats!

1:02 PM  
Blogger littledevilworks said...

Oooo I love the colors on the Madli. I can't wait to see it finished. :)

6:25 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

Well, you may still need to finish your brioche, but it's certainly not from a lack of drive - you have tons of that! Look at that beautiful shawl you just finished! Congrats and I look forward to seeing more FOs :-)

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please do all the instructions. They're very interestink. I'm going to buy lamb and lion when I do my clapotis. It will be a splurge, but i think it's worth it if I'm going to put all that effort into it.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home