Friday, March 03, 2006

It's All About Starsky

Has anyone out there seen this amazing pattern on Knitty called Starsky? When the Knitty surprises came out earlier this week, I knew immediately that I simply HAD to make that sweater! It's so cozy, stylish, soft, and amazing! I LOVE that shawl collar. Frankly, it's what I've been looking for in a sweater for ages. It's just the right thing to throw on when the evening gets chilly. I even had yarn on order that was the perfect gauge. Better yet, it had no project assigned to it. I just saw it on sale for 35% off and simply had to own it (Karabella Soft Tweed). This photo doesn't do the color justice. It's actually deeper than that, and the tweedy flecks are simply heaven. I bought it sight unseen. I had heard a rumor that it was soft (from my co-blogger Jeanette who has since disavowed her previous opinion lest I file a lawsuit claiming false advertising). So, I did a swatch and lo and behold, the gauge was totally off! It was behaving more like a light worsted yarn, so it was out of the question. The yarn is so amazing, though (it is soft after all, so the name isn't a misnomer), that I knew I had to find another project for it. So, I've decided to make the ever-popular Rogue sweater now that I have been informed that it can be cardiganized. Everything is cool gaugewise, but just to keep things interesting, I barely have enough yarn to finish it. It will be a nailbiter.

So, after finding Starsky, which is basically the answer to my sweater prayers, I had no yarn that was right for it. I had all but given up, for the time being. Yesterday, when I thought making this my next project was a real possibility, I combed through my stitch pattern books and came up with three possible replacements for the cable used in the pattern (which I really don't care for):

Ultimately, I think I have decided on one, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Tonight, at Knit Salon, I discovered that everyone there loves this sweater as much as I do and that, even though we've all got tons of yarn around to make a gazillion sweaters, we just HAVE to make this one, and we're going to do it, together, starting on April 1st. We're going to go one better and order the yarn from Knitpicks. I've heard mixed things about Knitpicks, but the price being what it is, beggars can't be choosers. If anyone out there has had an experience, good or bad, with Knitpicks Sierra, I would appreciate hearing your opinions about it.

So, it's all about Starsky right now. Well, it's actually all about Sam, which I'm making pretty good progress on. I should finish the right front tomorrow (IF my wine-induced stupor didn't make me screw up too terribly tonight). Then I'll work the sleeves over the weekend. I'm gonna need major help with the zipper though! I'm not much of a seamstress. I don't even know where to order one to match the color of my sweater. Help!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So bummed I missed last night, a 6am presentation left me with no energy last night. I too am in-love with Starsky. Can I still join the knit along?
I like the red and blue cables. Check YKK zippers at zipperstop.com. Their selection is amazing including rhinestone zippers.
Love that Rogue pattern, especially the cardi version!

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, Starsky is on my to-knit list. I wish I could join you on April 1st, but I am broke until my next financial aid check in May... I will probably order Sierra, too. I am also SUPER bumed i missed last night, too... I got sick again, with the flu I think this time. (i'm not usually this sick all the time) One of these Thursdays I swear I will make it!!
Oh, and I really like the blue cable pattern!

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the zipper color card for ZipperStop.com, and conveniently, some mint cotton ease. I could check (email me to remind me) and see what color will work.

1:32 PM  
Blogger lobstah said...

Starsky is an awesome pattern...if only I had more time to knit. Oh well. I vote for the white cable sample--it seems to fit in best with the 'feel' of the sweater. The blue one is pretty too, but it's the same cable as in 'Twist' so I'm tired of that one! :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

I left the salon last night feeling like it would be fun, but after looking at it again this morning, I'm hooked. No ifs ands or buts about it - I'm in.

I think I may even go with the red despite all the "green" discussions from last night.

P.S. my vote is for the cream cable sample.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought about it every day... weighing it against all of the other projects that have been waiting patiently... all of the cast-on projects sitting sadly on their needles, begging to be finished. Can I turn my back on these not-yet-started and not-yet-finished gems?



Yes. Yes I can.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning! I found your blog while doing a search for the Meg Swansen shawl (which I am working on) and I must comment on the Starsky project. I spent my weekend longing for that sweater, but not at all liking the Banana Tree Cable in it. I don't like the way the pattern does not flow into the ribbing along the bottom. So, I will be very interested to see what you decide. I really want to do that sweater myself!

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home