Wednesday, November 09, 2005

WIP's





I'm almost finished with my first Falling Leaves sock. I have to be very careful not to get a case of SSS, the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome. To date, I have not suffered from this affliction. I have been protected by a natural immunity that is fostered by an obsession with wearing handknit socks. My desire to hang around the house wearing them is so strong, that it has carried me through several second socks. It does not, however, get me through SS's that I knit for others, hence my brother's second Christmas sock, which sits in my WIP pile, approximately 75% done, but more on that later. To the left, a blurry photo of my sock. Naturally, the camera focused in on the cat hair and litter clinging to the rug, but my lace pattern is obscured. By the way, that cat hair and litter is just what gets tracked in by us. They aren't even allowed in this room. I have three cats, two of whom are long-hairs, so cat hair, litter and hairballs are just a part of life.

Back to my brother's SS. First, I had to borrow the size 5 Lantern Moon dpn's that I was using to make his sock to make baby booties for my neice. Then, before they were done, I wanted to borrow them AGAIN, and leave yet another project unfinished to start my husband's hat. Well, I triumphed over my inner child and finished the damn booties:






Finally, the aforementioned hat... I went to the Grove yesterday and finally bought yarn to make the hat my husband wants for Christmas. I'm going to knit it in Wool Cotton, which is one of my favorite yarns. It is wonderfully soft and combines the comfort of cotton with the loft and elasticity of wool.

First, I carefully measured his head, then obsessively calculated my gauge, and the damn thing is STILL too big, so I'm going to have to rip out my progress, which is OK because it only took around an hour to get over 2" done. It should be a quick knit. He has a rather small head which is going to involve me tweaking the pattern. This should be interesting since I've never made a hat before, so we'll see. Anyway, this photo shows the colors I'm using. I think they're stunningly beautiful, but naturally, my husband thinks the lighter green is too feminine. Whatever. Anyway, until Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home