Thursday, November 03, 2005

Turning the Heel, Take 2

I spent Tuesday evening working on my sock. I got sick and tired of working on the leg, so I shortened the leg from 8" to 71/4" and diligently began turning the heel. Since my sock is bigger than the pattern sock, I had to recalculate the number of stitches for the heel flap and for the heel turns. I looked at my notes and saw that I co 72 stitches, so I did my heel based on that. I picked up the stitches and even started working on my gusset decreases when suddenly and unexpectedly it hit me that I didn't cast on 72 stitches, that was my previous note from when I first made the sock (which I tore out deciding it was still too small), I had actually cast on over 80 stitches. Shit! I made my heel too narrow! rather than admit defeat I tore the stupid thing out and tried to put the loose stitches back on the dpn, not an easy task since they are size 0. Frustration drove me to continue working on the sock on Wednesday. I was working on the heel flap at s'nb last night when I managed to somehow "loose" one of my size 0 metal dpns. This wasn't working for me. Thanks to the ladies who all tried to help me find my dpn, but not luck. By the way, this is the second time I "lost" a dpn at s'nb. Last time I discovered the dpn up my sleeve while still in the coffee shop. This time, when I came home I discovered the dpn in my bag. I guess the moral of the story is that I am not allowed to knit socks at s'nb.

I received the Ethereal Fichu shawl pattern that I ordered from Heritage Yarns, I think I will use some stash misti lace weight alpaca for it. I almost canceled that order, after my paypal check cleared I received an email telling me that after I ordered the pattern, but before my paypal check cleared they sold out and weren't sure when the patterns would come in again. I also did some work on my mom's sweater here is a progress picture. I am also including a progress picture of the VK shawl I am working on using knitpicks lace weight alpaca.













My final note of the day, I bough Meg Swansen's A Gathering of Lace yesterday from Wild and Woolly in Lexington, MA and came very close to adding some more lace weight yarn to my stash. Maybe this weekend I will go back and make that addition. The yarn was only $15 and had 1,375 yards! How can I possibly go wrong, and now I have a book of beautiful patterns! I must buy some yarn so I can make on as soon as I am done my current lace, my mother's shawl, the Fichu shawl, put together my Vittadini sweater...

1 Comments:

Blogger bitterknitter said...

I'm glad that your dpn was found when you got home! I think you have the sneakiest bunch of dpns that I've ever seen (granted I don't meet too many dpns). Your sock heel looks nice.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home