Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Something Vintage?

I'd never really noticed Knit and Tonic's Something Red pattern before. I thought it seemed like an ordinary cardigan. But I saw this, and I decided that the sweater had potential. I wasn't sure at first whether it was the cables she added or whether it was the fit, but I really thought it was a flattering sweater on her. So, on Friday night, I cast on, and I now have this:

100_0133

I'm using a cotton/acrylic blend yarn (like Cotton-Ease, but not) that I purchased at the Yarn Lady bag sale nearly two years ago. I don't love the color, but alas, it does put a dent in the stash. As you can see, I ultimately decided against the cables. This is mostly because I felt that, in a worsted weight yarn, the cables would be clunky and heavy. The pink sweater (seen in the Ravelry link above) was reworked in a DK yarn, making it more delicate. I decided that what made this sweater look good on some and not so good on others was fit. I have made it point to have it fasten just below the bustline and to fit rather snug. It needs to be blocked so that the flare on the bottom is more obvious, but so far, I'm happy with th fit. In fact, it might be a little TOO snug, but we all now how cotton stretches.

My question is this: the original pattern has elbow length sleeves. What do you guys think of the idea of doing a shorter sleeve?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Disentangled said...

I really like the elbow length sleeves, but I'm sure the sweater would look fine with normal short sleeves, too. I just wouldn't go much shorter (cap) for fear that the top would look unbalanced.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would do short sleeves. I think it would look really cute, but I agree with Dis. Cap is too short. I'd go slightly longer than t-shirt length.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, along the same lines as Dis and Cora, how about sleeves that hit just above the elbows? So- longer than short, but shorter than elbow. It's going to be cute!

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm joining the crowd - and I think that short sleeves would be perfect for San Diego wear. I wouldn't do cap sleeves, but something above the elbow would be perfect.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home