Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A Rant and a Cable Swatch

Last week was one of those weeks that couldn't end soon enough. It was filled with literal and figurative headaches, most of which I won't get into here. The week ended with a formatting problem with an appellate brief which lead me to the discovery that my cell phone was out in the 'burbs, where I work, while I was in the city, where I live. After some thought I decided to try going the weekend, or at least part of it, cell phone free. I was amazed as the days went on, at how much I have come to rely upon the cell phone in my daily life. I am certainly old enough to remember a time when no one had these things, now, I can barely do without one. My cell acts as my watch, as my means of communication, and my means of checking Red Sox scores when I am out trying to have a life.
Another problem with the week/weekend was the discovery that my living room overhead light no longer works. I knew that it had a problem on Thursday night, I pretty much forgot about it on Friday (I went out after work then came home and fell asleep early, so the lack of light didn't bother me). On Saturday, I went to buy new light bulbs, then when dusk started to fall, I tried putting the new bulbs in, and low and behold....still no light. I tried an old bulb out in my bedroom, and the old bulb worked. Time, then, to call the landlord. Unfortunately, my landlord's telephone number was safely stored on my cell phone, which was out at my office. Par for the weeks' course.
On Sunday night, my cell phone was returned to me by one of the partners at my firm who happened to be going to the airport to pick someone up. Monday, a holiday, I called my landlady, and today someone should be coming to look at and fix the problem.
Enough ranting, sorry to bore you all with that stuff. I need opinions, please. I am working on recreating a cabled cardigan that I saw on a TV show. I am not wedded to doing exactly what I saw. The sweater had 3 cable motifs running up each front half. If you look at the photo on the left, the bobble cable runs along the button band (garter stitch), then the simple cable is next to the bobble cable, on the other side of the simple cable is a diamond patterned cable. The actual sweater has the moss stitch diamond cable that you see between the bobble and the simple cables. In lieu of that I was considering the other twisty diamond cable. This is where you come in, which diamond cable do you think will look better with the simple cable and the bobble cable?
Thanks a million!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I vote for the moss stitch diamond. Thanks for asking. :-)

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the moss stitch too, maybe with a little more space between the motifs on either side of the diamond. That twisted diamond is really interesting but I don't like it as much with the other patterns.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jscothammerquist said...

I like the twisty !
The moss is done to death, do something new and different. Beside it will give the sweater lift and light.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

twisty!!! The moss stich cable gives extra weight, and the yarn looks light and fluffy. also, I get deathly sick and bored doing moss stitch more than ribs!!!
-KateMet

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at it in person, I didn't have a strong preference, but now that I'm seeing it via your blog, I think I prefer the twisty cable one. But I think you basically can't go wrong with either. How's that for wishy-washy advice?

7:54 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

I like the twisty one... i think it matches the stems in the bobbles best. :)

And I think about going cell phone/blackberry free simetimes... I don't know if I could really do it, though.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home