Thursday, June 15, 2006

Is Pomatomus a Tropical Fish?

I have been absolutely infatuated with the sock I started on Saturday. The yarn colorway is called "Tropical Fish" but as Christine noted last night, it looks like a parrot. There are so many bright, vibrant colors in it. Ordinarily, when I am drawn to this type of yarn the attraction ends while I knit it and discover how busy and, well, fugly it turns out. This time that hasn't happened.

It also has displayed some, uhm, interesting, tendencies. On Saturday while I was working on it I discovered that it looked like a self-striping yarn. If you followed the stripes carefully you would find that the "stripes" of green surrounding yellow, and red/purple/blue together, actually spiral down to the foot. I was intrigued and mesmerized by this and the striping kept me going.

When I got down to the foot however, the yarn behavior changed. Instead of getting the spiral/stripe effect the yarn started to pool on me. I am not generally opposed to pooling, but I would prefer that the foot and the leg be consistent. There was a 4 stitch difference between the foot and the leg, I would not have expected these 4 stitches to make much difference, but apparently 4 stitches mean the world.

I enjoyed this sock but now have a bit of sss, yes I did cast on for the second sock, and I started the ribbed cuff. This is my traveling project so it will hopefully eventually get done, but I don't feel the compulsion of the sock anymore. My VK twisted float shrug is making progress, although I am not posting a photo because it is just a shrug lump right now (similar to my brown lump of lace, but more colorful and bulkier). Apparetly Blogger has a 2 photo max, I can't get any more uploaded today.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What, you're not done yet? :P

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed that about the socks, the pooling, but I think it makes them look even more wild, groovy and pyschedlic. Which is good, unless you don't like those qualities, in which case, it's bad. Brilliant, aren't I?

11:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And there's always shoes.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW! that is wild : D

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home