Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Hey there, wait a minute Mr. Postman...

Mr. Postman was very kind to me today. Yesterday, he left a note in my mailbox saying he had a package waiting for me down at the post office, but when I went to pick it up today, I actually had TWO packages! It's all the result of the yarn binge that I went on last week.

First, I don't know if you remember, but I had bought 5 hanks of Rowanspun DK in Eau de Nil at Knitting in La Jolla for 50% off, but when I got home, I realized that my pattern called for 7 (idiot!) so I immediately bought more on ebay. When the ebay yarn came, it was totally different than Rowanspun is supposed to be. It lacked Rowanspun's characteristic "felted" look. The one on the top is the ebay yarn and the one on the bottom is the one I got in La Jolla. I know that buying from different dyelots is dangerous, but this is ridiculous! So, I put out an SOS on Knitters Review, and someone told me that their LYS, is Selwickey, PA (where?) had some left, so I called, and sure enough, they had exactly two left! It was like kismet! So, here they are, one skein from each dyelot. Can you tell the difference?

I also got my Big Kureyon, too, but it's hiding in shame in the trunk of my car, so, instead, I'll show you the Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK that I got last week at 50% off (I'm a bit of a bargain shopper - can you tell?). I bought it to make this lovely sweater from the Spring 2006 issue of IK. I'm hoping that the Grove has its fair isle class soon so I can get started!

The start date for Starsky is coming up this Saturday, and I think I'm finally ready. Today, I chose my cable and over the weekend, I did a gauge swatch. The yarn is DARK, so it's difficult to see cables, but I'll know they're there. Here's a photo of the cable panel that I'll be using for the back. I've stolen it from a pattern from the Fall 2004 IK called Rhapsody in Tweed.

Finally on to my sorry knitting progress. Actually, it's not so sorry, I guess. As I mentioned, I was working on the layout for Starsky, I finally unwound my mom's afghan that was supposed to be her Christmas present and rescued $60 worth of La Boheme yarn that I plan to use to make her a shawl for Mother's Day. I started something, but I'm not happy with it. I've almost made it to the cap shaping on the sleeves for Sam, and I'm almost finished with a keyhole scarf I'm making out of Tahki Bunny, Wool Cotton and Soft Kid. Nothing is photo-worthy though. Joe loved his birthday hat - photo on Friday!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don'tcha just love getting presents in the mail?

Love the cable you chose for Starsky. I have swatched and hi-lighted my pattern and I am all ready to go! (can't I just start now? I finished my sweater and while I have several unfinished projects wanting my attention, I I am not inspired by any of them!)

I will wait to cast on Saturday. I will wait to cast on Saturday. I will wait...

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a big difference in the width (?) of the yarn! Weird! Selwickey its just outside of Pittsburgh. Don't ya love the creative names for towns that Pennsylvania people come up with? I think my favorite is Panic! *L* oohhhh!! I love the colors of alpaca silk that you got! *drool*

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and Mr. Postman did not bring my gifty...... I am outing myself now and saying that your final gift is in the mail...really. I promise...priority mail even..and Hi! I 'm Mama-E and I am a slacker. If you go take a look-see at my blog you will figure out why!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home