Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Twists Life Takes

I had writen a post and took a walk to buy coffee to pay off a bet at Dunkin Donuts while the last photo was uploading (it never uploaded). While returning to the office a car ran over my foot. Now my big toe is broken in several places, and I am walking on crutches. Fascinating turn of events.

Here is the post that I origionally wrote:
I am afraid I can think of nothing clever to say today, so I will stick with the facts.
Fact: I have finished the second wrist warmer.
Fact: I have to put a scalloped edge around the bottom of the first wrist warmer
Fact: I think these warmers will be perfect.
Fact: I am naming them my Ribbed for Her Pleasure Wrist Warmers.
Fact: The warmers are made from Vesper Sock Yarn and size 1 Addi DPNS (roughly size 1.5 for other needles)
Fact: Despite the fact that these may look like Voodoo, I have never even read the Voodoo pattern, but how hard really is it to make a ribbed tube? I added a thumb gusset and shaped the warmer to decrease around my wrist (which is narrower than my arm and my hand) I made the warmers fairly long on the arm so that they can be worn under sleeves and in the summer (air conditioning) can keep my arms warmer when I wear short sleeved tops. I also decreased around the fingers as the original warmer was to loose there. The warmers sit low over my fingers, barely above the knuckles so that I can easily use my keyboard while wearing them. Higher warmers my be warmer, but I find that they are much less practical. I also created a scalloped cast off which I used to give the warmers a slight, subtle decorative edge. I tried putting the edge on the second warmer, but it seems to fold up, so it may not stay, or at least may not be added to the first.

Next: Rogue--The back is done and I have just done row 2 of the neck cable, so progress is steady.

Oh, for most of the time K was out here, I was very good. The only yarn I bought during the week was the 2 skeins of Malabrigo I wrote about on Saturday. Unfortunately, on Saturday we went to The Snow Goose, which I had never been to before. Unfortunately I was very bad and bought a sweater quantity of Noro Kureyon and a book of Noro patterns. I am hiding my shame by not posting a photograph of that yarn. Until Saturday I was congratulating myself for my discipline and for basically sticking to my yarn diet despite being in 6 or so stores, including Webs. Yes there were regrets, but nothing I truly despaired. Then the devil sat on my shoulder and told me the price for the Kureyon was a good price, and that there would be no shipping, and that the color was lovely, and that I REALLY wanted the FO, so I caved.

Finally, this week I am dog sitting in the 'burbs. Fortunately, I work somewhere where Isis can come join me at work, so she is lying on my desk right now, slightly purring. Times like this, I really like my job.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch! Did the car even stop? I hope you've got good painkillers.

Rogue looks good.

What Noro sweater?

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, that sucks about the toe! Good excuse to sit around and knit, though. :)

2:05 PM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Your poor toe! How awful. I guess it could have broke more than just a toe, but still, ouch.

A purring cat will help your toe heal faster, that is nice that you are able to take her to work with you!

2:13 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

OMG. Hello, insurance settlement?! (And then...more yarn.) Glad you're okay, though...!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Disentangled said...

That is such a crazy story! I hope your foot is doing better :-)

Rogue and your wrist warmers look great!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey...Did you get a cast or a brace? Are you goign to knit a toe-cozy? Just a thought...

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home