Friday, December 28, 2007

Socks, Socks Everywhere

It has been a very busy week for me, as I'm sure it has been for everyone. As soon as I was finished with school, I dove head first into finishing my holiday knitting. I also had to do a lot of the cooking for Christmas Eve and Day dinners. I didn't really get a chance to relax until the 26th, but I have been enjoying life quite a bit since then. I have been doing a lot of cooking and baking, in addition to knitting. It's nice to have time to do these things.

I do have an FO to show you. Earlier this week, I finished my second Embossed Leaves sock.

100_0113

This pair of socks has been quite a journey for me. When the pattern first came out, I knit the first sock out of Baby Ull, but I felt it had turned out too small. I was discouraged by the experience, so I intended to rip it out...someday. I never did anything about it though. Fast-forward two years when I decided to remake the socks. I wanted to make it out of Gems Fingering, so I cast on first with size 2 needles, which turned out too big. I figured it was because the yarn was too thin for the needles, so I tried it with a hank of medium-weight STR. Those were HUGE as well. I started to wonder if I'd ever get a pair of these socks. On a lark, I tried on the sock I'd knit previously and, while it was snug around the cast-on area, it fit very well otherwise. So, I cast on for the second one and quickly knit the leg and the gusset. Then, I lost the magazine. I knew where I'd last seen it but couldn't find it anywhere. In addition to losing the magazine, I lost my car key, my sewing machine power cord and the buttons for my Starsky. One by one, I found almost everything I'd lost over the next couple of weeks. About three days ago, I found the magazine buried under a pile of crap in my front room. It only took me two nights to finish the rest of the sock. So, that is my story. It makes these socks even more special knowing the trials and tribulations of getting them done.

So, now what? I haven't started a sweater in over a month because I have been undecided about what should be next. That was fine when I had holiday knitting to do, but now I feel like I should make a decision. I'm torn now between three projects. First, I have an idea for a design for a cozy, tweedy sweater, using a combination of design elements from the Cozy V-neck pullover from Fitted Knits and Banff from knitty. I'm going to use my Rowanspun Aran and I've already swatched for it. I just have to wash my swatch to see what my gauge is. I'm also considering Demi from Rowan Vintage knits and Gatsby Girl from the Fall 2006 IK. Totally torn. This is a first for me.

In the meantime, I've cast on for a neat little sock pattern:

100_0114

These are the Nutkin socks which is a free sock pattern (found on Ravelry of course) designed by Knitzi. It's a fun pattern to knit because it's a breeze to memorize but it looks really cool and is more interesting than a stockinette sock. Plus, it has a hem, a short row heel and apparently the toe is done without grafting. I'm looking forward to learning a new technique or two. I'm using Claudia's Handpainted Yarn that I bought in Providence this summer. I know it isn't the favorite yarn of sock knitters, but I'm very pleased with it. It doesn't pool and it's very soft.

So, the anti-sock sweater knitter has no sweaters on the needles and has finished two pairs of socks in the last week (including the husband's Log Cabin socks) and has already cast on for another pair. It's just another phase of my knitting evolution. It keeps life interesting, n'est-ce pas?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the dark side of sock knitting :)

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the texture in both of those socks! Glad you're having fun with them. I'm currently lost in Endpaper Mitts...love it! Happy New Year!

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home