Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Boston


There are things I truly love about this city. Without getting into a car, and with very little walking I was able to leave the city behind this weekend. All it took was a strong back (and arms) to carry some camping gear and $12 to get aboard a ferry out to the Boston Harbor Islands. This serious of islands are part of a state/federal park, and there is camping on some of them. The Bitter Knitter and I went out to Bumpkin Island, which we explored as thoroughly as possible and on which we sampled some of the native, edible, vegetation (thanks goes out to the Park Ranger who lent us a book identifying edible plants!) Among the plants were two that we used to make tea on Saturday morning. I think this white plant was Yarrow, but I can't remember for sure. It's leaves lent a slight, almost, but not quite minty flavor to the tea, which was actually made more with Tanzy (or something like that).
Saturday, after the night out in nature, several of the N.End knitter's joined Bitter Knitter and I on the main Harbor Island, Georges, where we spent a lovely afternoon, sitting, soaking up some of the sun (and some shade), picnicking, and knitting. With me on this trip came My Sock v 2.1 (a slightly smaller size that v 2.0).

Speaking of my sock, I owe you a winner to the contest, well, you are going to have to wait a little longer to learn the winner. Why, you may ask, well, because none of the names are talking to me right now, and the names I have thought of, I don't love either, so when my sock has a name, the contest will have a winner.

Another thing I love about the city, is free Shakespeare on the Common, which I went to see in their final performance of this year. Things I hate about Boston: Starbucks closing at 8:30 on a Sunday despite a line pouring out the door. At least stay open until intermission is over! !

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How'd you like The Taming of the Shrew?

9:51 AM  
Blogger Siercia said...

Looks like you had a great camping trip!

Sadly, there was no George's Island for us on Saturday, so no chance to meet up with you and your merry band of KIPpers.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging about this. I need it as proof for my shrink that I am no longer a shut-in! Heeee. Actually, he was really impressed that I made the trip out there (he commented, "you know, you can't just get off the ferry -- that's quite an accomplishment!")

I had a lovely time. Thanks for suggesting this outing. And I still maintain that you ARE going places. Fer shur, dude, you are, like totally, man. So sayeth the transplanted valley girl.

2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to Taming of the Shrew too this past weekend. :)

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home