Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Flaws are Good, Right?




I have heard that a number of religious philosophies believe that only god (in whatever form therefore lower case g here) is perfect, so they purposely build mistakes into every project they make. I whole heartedly embrace this philosophy, however, I don't make my mistakes on purpose, they just seem to happen. For instance, I started a pair of Falling Leaves Socks from Knitty. They are a toe up sock, my first experience with them. So far it has not been smooth sailing. I somehow screwed up my crochet cast on so that when I removed the waste yarn instead of having nice, defined, live stitches, I had a relaxed cast on edge. Frog time! I started again with a more traditional provisional cast on, which worked pretty well. It was fun to see the toe pocket emerge as I was knitting flat. Then I started the lace pattern. I did about 3 repeats when I finally noticed something, a line in the instructions which told you to knit a row between each line of the chart. Shit! To frog or not to frog? As you can see, I chose not to frog. This is this sock's tribute to the fact that only the gods or god is perfect. See how close together the repeats are at the top? well that is the look without the knit row, also the repeats separate a lot more, as you can see, without the knit row.

I am still plugging away at Fichu. The question of how big to make it has been more and more on my mind. Since I have stepped down my needle size I decided to add repeats to make it bigger. The question is how many repeats to add. I have 2 choices, 1 just keep going until I run out of yarn, and 2 use math to figure it out. Method 1 is not terribly attractive because I am still on my first skein of yarn and I have 2 more skeins, and I don't think I want to keep working on this that long. I tried method 2 and am not sure of the results. I blocked part of the shawl and calculated that each repeat increases the width by about 6 inches and the depth/height by about 5 inches. I would like the shawl to span about the length of my arms, over 60" but I think it might make the thing too long. For now, though I am in no danger of nearing the end, I think I need about 11 repeats to get it over 60" and I have only about 4 1/2 done. Yikes! don't like that thought.

Yesterday it snowed. This is relevant today because while waiting for my late bus to go home, I decided that I didn't like my newest hat. It doesn't fit right, and it could be warmer. So, I made another hat when I got home. I used a pattern from "The Next Big Thing" by Rowan and 2 plies of my left over Baby Grande Alpaca. I started running out of one of my plies, so it is 2 rows shorter than it should be. I also added some double knit ear flaps at the end. Still goofy looking, but definitely warmer, and no chin strap necessary to keep it on my head and down around my ears. Here is goofy hat on a goofy head. :)

I guess that is about all for now. Have a good day!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The nice thing about screwing up the beginning of a sock is shoes. Shoes hide a lot. Are you going to make the other sock to match? ;P

11:10 AM  
Blogger bitterknitter said...

Christine just pointed out another reason for me to do a toe-up sock! I think the sock looks fine as it is. If you wouldn't have told us, we wouldn't have known.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Mara Fitch said...

You know I reallly like that flaw in your sock, I think its pretty, maybe it shouldn't be called a flaw but a happy discovery. I love your hat as well, gets me thinking about making an ear flap hat myself.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you decide you need something and just knit it! You're one of my knitting heroes.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home